1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too much, too soon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TooMuchTooSoon, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

huh?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

servinet? servestere? servelater?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

naw. i got nuthin'.

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

lush? ;D

5. Not that I know anything, but some unsolicited thoughts from a fellow youngsta:
    - Opinion is your job, but don't make yourself Have A Take when you don't have a take. The opinions you don't truly hold - the ones you've developed and written in haste - are probably the ones you're going to regret writing. Nuance is okay, hedging is okay, "perhaps" is okay. Not everything has to be Stephen A.
    - Obvious, maybe, but don't be negative all the time, don't be positive all the time. Review your work every so often to see if your tone has become predictable. (Or to see if your writing on any particular issue has.)
    - Don't worry about readers who question your bona fides as a young dude - that is, if they're able to find out how old you are - even though they'll be saying things you might yourself think. Convince yourself, right now, that you belong. (RIGHT NOW!) Maintain your humbleness, and by all means assess your own performance, but don't let the self-questioning bother you incessantly.
    - Keep seeking out feedback - internally for sure, but also perhaps from other columnists you respect. It'll make you better, and that's (by far) the primary point, but it'll also quell some "Who does this guy think he IS?" talk. Realize that you are talented, but demonstrate that you know there are people out there who are smarter and faster and better. Don't think that you have to "act the part" of a big-city columnist who's figured it all out...be confident, but remember that nobody expects you to be the best columnist in the country your first week.

Good luck!

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I don't have 10K posts, but I'm not a newb either, and holy shit is this thread tense...

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Don't take criticism from this crowd (sj) too hard... they have a way with big city columnists.
    (Mariotti, Whitlock, etc.)

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

huh?

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

tom's ears perked up like stan_solo's

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Shottie, I can't offer you the beverage of your choice?

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

It's only too much, too soon if YOU think it is.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The old-fashioned way.

Hard work, dogged determination, relatives own the paper

Draft saved Draft deleted