1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too much, too soon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TooMuchTooSoon, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

write about your dog (insert crazy dog's name) and one day have it be spun off into a movie in which dakota fanning plays your fictional wife.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Damn you. That's JUST what I was thinking.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm sure you'll do fine.

[​IMG]

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Enjoy it and learn. Ask questions. Here's hoping that in 20 years, your publication will still be operating. Good luck.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They gave you a column because someone wants to read what you have to say. So write like you believe that. And that is all.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Dear TooMuchTooSoon:

Talk about your mixed blessings. Here you are, about to get a twice-a-week column in a major metro, and your newspaper is going to fold like one of Mitch Albom's tiny suits within the next few days. Damn.

"The Happy Brothers"
    Piotr Rasputin
    Joe Williams
    Drip

P.S. We're only telling you this so you can move your family to higher ground now.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Congrats TMTS.

I'm 23. Wish I could have a column at a metro. The close I ever got was being a finalist in some shady blogging contest by Foxsports.com; writing a column for a 3,000 circulation paper, and doing some blogs!!!! for a major metro that literally nobody read.

Make the best of it.

8. establish a consistent voice

don't be a fraud

work

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, I guess it's safe to say that you didn't bring any of this up, or ask any of these questions, when you and your boss were discussing your new gig, right?

Do you think he/she would have still given you the assignment if you had?

Geez. I'll be the first to admit this bothers/bugs me. And yeah, I'd even be a little jealous, if I wanted to be a columnist. Which I don't.

But really, how/why are newspapers -- major metro newspapers, no less -- doing this kind of stuff? I know, that question's been answered, ad nauseum. But honestly, it's incredible, as if there is no longer anybody in the business except 24-year-olds, who can be given all the best beats, best jobs, and the plum-est assignments/careers.

[Taking deep breath]

OK, now to answer your question:

Answer the question, "If I don't think I can handle a major beat, what makes me think/believe I would be a good columnist?," and work from there.

Your thoughts/response to that will tell you how to proceed, what you think you have to say, and get you thinking about a voice, direction and style for yourself regarding how to say it.

Develop those, a little bit, and do them better, every time you write, and you should get to where you want to go.

Of course, that's assuming that you're not already there now.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I forgot the most important thing. Not everyone is going to like what you write. Be prepared for criticism both positive and negative.

11. Mr. Namath:
    We'll know that TooMuchTooSoon is Joe Thatguy.
    We won't know the handle under which he normally posts is Joe Thatguy.

12. ringer

ringer Active Member

How the hell did you get that assignment?

That's what I want to know.

Draft saved Draft deleted