1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too much, too soon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TooMuchTooSoon, Dec 30, 2008.

1. TooMuchTooSoon

TooMuchTooSoon New Member

* I am a regular contributor to this site, but would like to maintain a sense of anonymity.
    * I am 24 years old.
    * I have dreamed of being a sports columnist for my entire life.

So here's the thing:
    I - luckily, graciously, miraculously - was just told today that I would be given a twice-weekly column in my newspaper. This is a major metropolitan newspaper, in one of the country's biggest cities, and while I am new at said paper, I believe I have proven myself worthy with my writing ability.

Still, I can't help but feel a bit daunted by this responsibility. Excited, sure. Thrilled. But very, very nervous about how I'll perform, and whether I should even be given such a task so quickly.

Has anyone else been thrown to the wolves rather quickly? And I'm talking more from a columnist perspective here, because I don't think I could really handle a big beat, like others my age, such as Teddy Kider (covers the Hornets for the Times-Picayune), Kent Babb (Chiefs for KC Star) or Jon Abrams (Knicks for NY Times).

2. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Others may disagree, but my perspective is that no one who hasn't handled a big beat has much business writing a column. The best columnists are pretty damned good reporters, too.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If you freeze up, just get on here and name the subject. We'll write it for you.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Wilting poinsettias. Go...

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"The radical reconstruction of the South after the Civil War was neither radical nor a reconstruction. Discuss."

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Let's see. You want to maintain your anonymity on this board, but you're calling our attention to the fact that you're 24 and about to begin writing a column for a major metro. Nope, no way we'll ever be able to figure out who you are.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Make sure you ask bad football coaches about their daughters' choice of husband, then you can come on here and let Drippy defend you for it.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe i'll kick you to the curb ... in my new set of boots.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't think he/she is worried about if you know who he/she is in real life. I think he/she doesn't want folks to know what his/her other handle is.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I can take a guess...

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

All we have to do is google "TooMuchTooSoon", and this person will be found out

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Ah. That makes more sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted