1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too much experience for a new job

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Aug 20, 2007.

1. Is this a bad thing?

I ask because I have 10 years' experience at my present stop. I have been applying to LOTS of jobs on college campuses over the past year and most ask for 3-5 years experience. Conversely, I have not gotten a call for one interview, and I have applied to about 20 jobs at five different colleges, some of which deal with the exact same thing I do at my present stop.

It goes without saying I am frustrated beyond all get-out...and am wondering if too much experience is a hindrance (like I would be over-qualified or something).

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I wonder the same thing. Sorry I can't help beyond that.
  3. Flash

Flash Guest

Sometimes it's not what you know ...
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think you can be over-qualified. I recently was going through a hiring process and one of my stringers asked if he should apply.

He had worked for a couple years at a daily paper before moving back here and, while I knew he could do the job, it's really more of an entry-level job. I had a lot of turnover in the job recently and was looking for someone I knew would be here awhile. I knew he was qualified for better jobs and figured if one opened up, I'd lose him pretty quickly, which I was trying to avoid.

So instead, I went with a college graduate. The stringer caught on with someone else and my hire is working out well.

That said, it can be frustrating because you say to yourself, "If I'm apply, I obviously want the job, why do they care if I have 'too much' experience?" For me, the reason I didn't go with someone who had more experience is I knew I'd be going through the same process all over again pretty quickly.
  5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

And I understand that.

But if one is taking a step back, say, in the same business because they don't know if they're cut out for big-time newspapering and they'd rather work at a 50K...why won't the 50K call them back?
  6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Getting into academia is not easy. It isn't a matter of your qualifications, but who you know. I sent packets and applications to the local D1 college for about five years -- before and after I moved down here. I didn't get my first interview with HR until a few months ago.
  7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I did some hiring in the past and generally avoided candidates with too much experience for that particular job. I always wanted someone who would have to reach a little in order to succeed in the first position with us, hoping that the hard-work trait would stick with them as they moved up the ladder.

I can also tell you that some resumes with lots of experience never made it past the HR filter. They didn't want to have to start anyone at the higher end of the pay scale for the position.
  8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I have several friends who work for the local universities, and they all have said they didn't hear from HR for several months, some almost a year.
  9. And I have heard the same, and seen it in some cases...mostly just a couple of months.

It just amazes me how difficult it is to get into universities/colleges. For this present one I applied to, I have the longtime baseball coach and longtime SID helping me out, so I hope it helps.

In a right world, you would think the more years of experience, the better. But today, it's less experience, less money.

Sad thing is I'm only 30. I shouldn't have to worry about being too old/experienced for awhile still.
Draft saved Draft deleted