1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

too much death for one day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Sep 10, 2012.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

What exactly bothered the editor? Wtf is wrong with him or her?

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Tx: How you doin', dude?

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

The graphic details bothered her. Some of us really needed to talk it out - it's a normal coping mechanism, especially dealing with the bad stuff we have to deal with (I was in court yesterday covering two accused murderers, BTW). This case was especially bad - the wolf-dog crapped out parts of the boy's underwear.

4. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Geez. I can understand y'all's needing to talk it out. I would have, too, after something like that.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If I can share a lighthearted death story (there's an oxymoron for you), my wife covered the Sunday cops shift at the major metro for a while and one morning had to deal with a fatal shark attack. Guy had a house on the channel, every morning he'd take a dip off his backyard into the water. This time, his splash must have looked inviting to a shark because he was just about bitten in half.

Wife starts making some calls to try to write a news story but also put the guy in a good light, because who deserves to die like that? Well, she had the hardest time finding anyone to say something nice (I think he lived alone). By the end of the day she discovered this guy was a loan shark. A real piece of crap. Of course she couldn't really write that either, but we've told that story forever.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I can sympathize with you, scribe.

Helicopters don't crash very often. But when they do, there's generally not very good news for any involved. I wear a bracelet every day that carries the names of two guys I knew very well.

Venting is certainly a way we deal with death here in my world, and it is certainly acceptable.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I turned to my editor yesterday and said, "I wish sometime there would be a story on a killer and have someone say: 'I knew the sonofabitch would snap.' "

8. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Our running gag in the office was that the neighbors would always say, "He was a quiet guy. Kept to himself. We didn't even know he owned a chainsaw."

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

A former editor of mine used to work at a drugstore before he became a writer.

He had a customer in a wheelchair that came in every Sunday and bought milk, eggs and a newspaper. One Sunday he came in, bought his stuff then used the payphone across the street. Turned out he had just killed his girlfriend.

Personally, I could never do death stories and I've been lucky enough that we've never had a lot of them. Once though, I was covering a steak dinner for a team that had just got their rings for winning a state championship. I was packing my stuff up when I noticed everyone was starting to act a little weird. In the back of my head I thought I had overstayed my welcome, but I think I really knew it was more than that.

When I got back to the office I found out that one of their classmates was stabbed to death on popular nature trail (I run it quite often). They were all just finding out when I left the school. It was a very small school -- less than 200 kids -- so everybody knew her.

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

In looking at my datebook, I realized that I needed to write a preview of the court mayhem coming up. This will be in our Wednesday paper:

----------
    Six men accused of murder, three accused of armed robbery and one accused of robbing a credit union and firing a shot at police officers — all with ties to City A and City B — will be in court in the next week.
    -------
    These cases are spread among three counties over one week. One of the cases involving two men will be handled by our sister paper there.

Still, holy crap is that a lot of death and other bad stuff in our paper. I've barely been able to write about the City A council because I've been so busy at the cop shops and courts in both cities.

11. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

That's a lot of mayhem for one paper.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Two more men (on top of, what, five others) accused (separately) of having repeated sex with a female under 15 to whom they are related in one way or other.

That's since May.

(Sorry, needed to vent.)

Draft saved Draft deleted