1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too many of YOU folks!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Feb 18, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Macdaddy: Spot on.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

macd,

If you are sitting across the room, pop your head above the cubicle and wave.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You guys touch on a subject that turns my stomach on daily basis. Literally. When did web clicks on the hottest cheerleader or the best looking softball player become our mission, my mission?
    I will do it if allows me to do journalism, I won't do it at the cost of journalism.

(Photogalleries are garbage -- for the most part. I see some websites -- big paper websites -- doing photogalleries on road NHL games for teams that are 20 games out of a playoff spot. It is "user-padding." It's the same user, just more clicks through each photo. Of course there is an argument that the user stay is longer, but that wasn't the genesis of the photogallery.)

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Just this: Many of the people in the business office are not producing anything that will get us traffic on the web. Hell, many of them are actively fighting efforts to get more content on the web because it would drag attention away from the print product --- never mind that our consumers are showing us in every possible way that they prefer a web product to a print product.

5. statrat

statrat Member

This industry needs to get some forward thinking people in charge to save it. In regards to the web, I heard a publisher say last week that web content will never be important because "People can't take a computer to the toilet." Well, they can now. Naysayers say the web is not a profitable advertising market. Why can't it be. Why don't invest some time to see how it can be made into one. Meanwhile, advertising in print continues to fall because its not worth it for advertisers to dump money into a product that doesn't get them a return on their investment.
    Why, when the news industry most needs people with imagination, the powers that be decide that best solution is to lay all those people off?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

beardpuller nails it. (He seems to do that a lot.)

You want to carve, start carving in middle management. You keep the copy editors. (Except, of course, for the ones who become so anal or hard to work with that they're just not worth the trouble.)

The guy who wrote this is indicative of a greater problem, the products of the Internet age who think it's OK to use "U" for "you" when writing. And while we're at it, he probably uses "your" for "you're," too.

7. At our place, they were quite excited about the huge number of hits on a photo gallery for high school volleyball.

I wanted to go home and shower.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Our shop is the same way. We have a function on most of our photo galleries where users can vote "hot or not," even for photos that really don't lend themselves to such things (if people are voting that wild animal photos are hot, I'm concerned). We're not too far from flashyourrack.com.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Those would make some sweet laminated credentials. You could make money on E-Bay.

10. "They are not producing anything that will get us traffic on the web.”
    Blow me, OK?

11. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Zebracoy, you're dead on.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I feel your pain.

Draft saved Draft deleted