1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too hokey?

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Canyonero!, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

I'm working on an analysis piece for a local HS football game played last night, Friday the 13th (my paper doesn't run Saturdays, so it's for tomorrow). Is making a Jason Voorhees reference in the lead about a Friday the 13th game too hokey?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Pallister's right.

4. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

Haha, that's what I figured. I just wanted to get some opinions before going buckwild with it. Thanks.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Noble Canyonero [sic],

You can pin these to the stable door.

Don't work Halloween or Thanksgiving into your ledes either.

YHS, etc

6. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Or the fact it was a cold, windy night.

7. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

Thanks guys. Thanks a lot for blowing 99 percent of my leads :D

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Most people haven't seen the high school events we write about, so (the obvious no-holiday-lead theme aside), the gamers should be less about writing around the game and more about the game: Who won, how and what it means.

9. sartrean

sartrean Member

Yeah, reading the Sat. a.m. paper, like every stringer the big city daily has mentioned somewhere in the story, maybe not the lede, but somewhere it was mentioned it was a cold and windy night....all except for my story...ha-ha.

Dare to be different (actually, I would have used that if this one kicker's kick, which had been blown down by the win, was the difference in the game. But it was not).

Draft saved Draft deleted