1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too harsh for preps?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TyWebb, Sep 22, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Would it be too harsh to add "like Loser McTubby from Team B" to the end of that line?

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

One time I was tempted to write a column about a game I was watching that included the line If I wanted to watch fat, awkward losers stumble around and not score, I'd step in front of a mirror. Didn't end up writing a column, but I was tempted.

3. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

never make the reader work

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

And don't ever try to get too cutesy with your writing. It may appeal to your humor but it might not appeal to the majority of the readers.

5. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

Are gamers really meant to inspire? I think people read gamers to find out what happened. When is the last time you read a gamer that was inspirational and you remember years later? That's where features and columns come in.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It's shit.

Try something else.

7. waynew

waynew Member

Not too harsh. uninspired, unimaginative and poorly constructed? yeah.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Like a lot of people said, though, I didn't think it was too harsh. You're not really calling the other team out, saying they played like pansies or anything, just that the defense stepped up near the goal line. Not too harsh.

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I used this one a couple weeks ago:

Prior to the start of Friday’s homecoming game with (really struggling, only 23 kids on the roster VISITING TEAM), (traditional league power HOME TEAM)’s national anthem singer verbally stumbled and misplaced a couple of lines.
    It was about the only thing that didn’t go the home team’s way.
    (HOME TEAM football hero No. 1) ran for three touchdowns and more than 100 yards, and (HOME TEAM football hero No. 2) tossed a pair of TD passes — all in the first half — as the (HOME TEAM) trounced (really struggling, only 23 kids on the roster VISITING TEAM), 48-7, to improve to 3-2 overall and 2-0 in the (area league for small schools).

You should have seen the letter to editor we got.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I don't think that example was too harsh; it's just cliche. Although, I never would have allowed the word trounced to run in any sports story. It's hackneyed.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thank God you don't work for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted