1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too broke for Christmas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jack Burton, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Jack, you need to listen to me VERY CAREFULLY, then DO as I say. (I was going to PM you, but this might help someone else as well.)

The denials from Social Security is just the beginning. This is how the game is played. (I will withhold any opinions on the system.) You get a lawyer, one that specializes in Social Security cases. You make an appointment, you meet with the lawyer. The lawyer can not charge you anything until the case is settled, a $6,000 max, which is deducted from Social Security if you get it.

You meet with the lawyer, you do everything the lawyer tells you and you get him all the records he or she needs. An administrative hearing before a judge will be scheduled, it takes up to a year or more. If the judge approves your case, you get back pay from the date you became disabled. (This isn't a set in stone date either, but your attorney can discuss that more with you.)

You need to do this. I am speaking from experience.

Good luck.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Rosie's suggestion of a letter to those who mean the most to you is a good one, and is what I was going to suggest.

If it's heartfelt and good-spirited, it is liable to be more appreciated, meaningful (for both sides), and kept for the long-term, than any merchandise you might buy.

Heck, you could even do it for the 3- and 5-year-old kids, and tell them what you think is so special, what you hope for or could see, or whatever, about them individually, even though they may not appreciate it just now.

Have their parents keep the note for them for the future or some time when it might make a particular impact. Mothers-to-be write notes to their unborn children -- same concept here, and could have those kids thinking and appreciating the look back at themselves through someone else's eyes once they're old enough to understand the meaning and effort of something like that. You could even write that this is being written at a time when you couldn't give much else, and you'd probably just be helping them later see/understand a better, more real meaning of Christmas.

Don't loathe the holiday. Make it good, anyway. Focus on family (because it sounds like you've got a good one), and not finances. Even kids don't that age don't care that much about "things" as long as the adults around them don't make such a big deal of them. They want care, time and attention, and none of those costs anything except effort.

And, once your seasonal temp job at Best Buy ends, go over to Walmart if you're willing to work there and think it might help, even a little bit, from a financial standpoint. Seriously.

Walmart could/would probably find a place for you, even if you were confined to a wheelchair, and there are lots of new stores opening in the next year or so.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I know the definition of indigent, thank you. It doesn't seem to me it applies here. If you think it does, oh well, but that's really not what the spirit of the post is about.

The point is, Jack doesn't owe people anything, and it's not likely gift-givers expect anything anyway. (If they do, they should be crossed off the list anyway - that's not what Christmas is about.)

If he really feels led to reciprocate, Rosie's idea of sending letters is awesome. If the kids are local, I'd also throw in the suggestion of some me-time with Uncle Jack, maybe an afternoon at the park or something.

And yes, Jack, it does sound like you have an awesome family.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Cool it, mang. This thread is about Burton.

Draft saved Draft deleted