1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too bad it was only pepper spray

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Imagine if the soldier in the coffin was your kid and you're doing the worst thing a parent could ever have to do, bury your child and on the worst day of your life, you have to walk past these wastes of life on your way to the funeral.

Fuck their freedon of speech, they should all be shot.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm imagining it. And guess what: I'm still sticking to my principles. "Imagine how you would feel" is one of the worst ways imaginable to decide public policy.

And I probably wouldn't have to walk past them. Depending on the cemetery, the law usually keeps them 300 feet away.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about these people as you do.

And maybe there's a way to write a very specific law that would deal with these folks, though I'm not sure it would pass Constitutional merits.

The problem is the slippery slope. If you can outlaw their speech -- even by saying it could lead to violence, or pain, or hurt feelings -- then you could outlaw speech criticizing the President, Governor, or Mayor for the same reasons.

And as much as politicians hate to be criticized, they'd pass those kinds of laws/rules in a heartbeat if they could.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If they stuck to protesting funerals of gay people or local productions of the Laramie Project, they might have some sympathy from the far right. They'd still be pieces of shit in my book, but once they went after service members they lost whatever support they would have had from most wingnuts.

5. YankeeFan

This is ridiculous.

Honestly, sometimes I think some of the liberals here don't have a single conservative friend.

These monsters would not have had one shred of support from any mainstream conservative if they were holding up their disgusting signs at the funerals of gay people.

Conservatives don't hate gay people. We don't wish them dead. We don't celebrate their deaths, and we don't think their "behavior" is responsible for all/any of the evils in the world.

Before you post something suggesting otherwise, you should at least post some evidence to back up your point.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't think for an instant laws need to be passed to limit anyone's right to free speech. I am a veteran and I have fought to ensure people's rights to act like assholes. Would I prefer certain assholes not use that right in my presence? Absolutely.

But remember, free speech is protected... your stupid ass isn't. Say what you want, when you want, but you better be ready to own it when someone calls you on it.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I can't believe anyone is stupid enough to think anyone's defending them.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If conservatives don't think gays' "behavior" is responsible for the evils in the world why do gays bother them so much? Why not let them marry, serve in the military, etc.?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It'll be a great day for humanity. It would be a wonderful thing for society to see some of these fuckers hauled off in rubber bags.

10. Rack this dude for hitting paydirt!

11. YankeeFan

Not only am I convinced that you have no Conservative friends, but I doubt you have any African American or Hispanic friends either.

If you did, you'd realize that this isn't an issue (gay marriage, that is) that breaks down along ideological lines. It's been voted down consistently, but it's just under a 50/50 issue.

But African Americans and Hispanics, a major part of the Democratic coalition, are overwhelmingly against gay marriage.

Many economic conservatives have no issue with gay marriage.

And who's closer to your position on gay marriage, Dick Cheney or Barack Obama? Ted Olson or Barack Obama? Ken Mehlman or Barack Obama? YankeeFan or Barack Obama?

Who installed, 'Don't ask, don't tell"? Bill Clinton or George W. Bush.

And except for lunatics like Alan Keyes, even traditional, religious Conservatives hold a "hate the sin, love the sinner" approach towards homosexuality.

Their objections to gay marriage or military service don't have anything to do with "blaming them for all of the evils in the world".

You or I might not agree with these objections, but they're not hate based. They're long standing beliefs that are not only traditional and mainstream, but were once held by the vast, vast majority of people and are still held by a slim majority of people (including many, many on the left).

The people who feel this way are mostly older, and opinions are changing as they die off frankly, and as more and more people get to know homosexuals. As more come out of the closet, more people of every political stripe realize that not only are homosexuals no different than our friends, neighbors, and children; they likely are our friends, neighbors, and children.

For you to continue to act like all "anti-gay" opinion and/or legislation is housed on the political right and is fueled by hate is erroneous.

And anyone who would protest the funeral of a gay person with hate filled signs and messages would be vilified by the right with the same fervor as it would be by the left.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure why you're holding "don't ask, don't tell" against Clinton. While today it's only a fraction of a step toward the way it should be, it was radical at the time and had many, many people (particularly on the right) upset that we'd suddenly have gay people hiding in the military and serving in our wars.

Even today lifting that ban is far more difficult than it should be, mainly because you have certain righties (McCain among them) trying to take such a hard stance against the idea. So much of (but not all of) mainstream society recognizes what a folly the whole policy is, and seems to be in agreement that it should be lifted and isn't a big deal. All the evidence that supports lifting the ban is often met by a response of someone holding their fingers in their ears and screaming "lalalalalalalalala" as loud as they can. But getting the ban lifted likely doesn't become possible in this socially sensitive climate without "don't ask, don't tell" being instituted first. It was a compromise Clinton was willing to get betting that the military would eventually get to where he was on the issue.

Likewise, while Clinton (regretfully) signed DOMA into law, too, it was W. who tried to gin up all those constitutional amendments against gay marriage, which goes far deeper than DOMA ever does. Whether he was in full support of the issue or not doesn't matter, since he pushed it. Meanwhile the guy who drew up DOMA, who is thrice divorced I believe, for the sake of "protecting marriage" has even come to realize what an absurdity it is. Better late than never, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted