1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too bad it was only pepper spray

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You and I don't agree on much, but you nailed it right there.

For those of us who have lost loved ones in this war or have friends and family over there, I have zero tolerance for these wastes of life who have the gall to disrespect people who died for this country.

If you disagree with the war, there are places to protest but funerals of soldiers are definitely not that place.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

These guys are ultra-offensive jerks. And if they got beaten to a pulp & I was on a jury, the beater would face no consequences.

But, unless they're actually calling for violence or treason, I don't want the Government deciding they can't say it.

I understand that their actions might drive others to violence, but if we let the Government outlaw this kind of speech, then all kinds of speech will eventually be classified as such.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Ditto. A rare morning.

The only limit on freedom of speech ("Fire!"/crowded theater) is when it creates through falsehood an immediate danger.

4. YankeeFan

Strange bedfellows indeed.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Disagree w/everything, etc., but defend to the death, etc."

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Shit. Now we've gotta reshuffle everyone up. We've got the fascists mixing with the pinko commies. Soon cats will be sleeping with dogs.

7. YankeeFan

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

When Sean Hannity is on the opposite side of an anti-gay group, you know it's gone too far.

9. YankeeFan

Those people are really fucked up.

Thankfully it's a very small group.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I put the funeral protesters in the same category as the "God Hates Fags" group that treats those who die of AIDS with the same disrespect that the protesters treat the fallen soldiers.

There's a very low level of hell waiting for both of the protester groups. They can rot there as far as I'm concerned.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They can rot. But in the meantime, they have a right to say what they want to say as long as they are kept a certain distance away from the funeral to keep from disrupting it. And they are. Many laws have been passed respecting their free-speech rights but restricting them enough to keep them from disrupting the funeral. I think the government has generally handled this pretty well.

And I don't think for a second this is about any real political issue. These people are IRL trolling. They just want to stir up trouble, whatever way they can.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I think they're the same people.

Draft saved Draft deleted