1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too bad it was only pepper spray

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A guy gets arrested for firing pepper spray at the Fred Phelps Gang, who were protesting outside a Marine's funeral:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/28/nebraska.funeral.protest/index.html?iref=obinsite

Hope the guy doesn't take a plea bargain, and asks for a jury trial. I wonder how many jury members would be willing to convict him.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you protest at the funeral of someone who died for this country, you should be hit with something a lot stronger than pepper spray.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'll never forget the Phelps clan scattering like a bunch of pussies when protesting a funeral, a marine actually ran after them.

Too bad this guy didn't use arsenic or maybe light up and throw a brick of Black Cats at them.

And I see the Patriot Guard was at the funeral. Those guys fucking rule.

I still think that Freddie had a gay encounter, maybe is gay, and this is all his way of trying to make it up.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

King, I saw the same thing happen one time. They ran like little bitches.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's only a matter of time until someone turns a gun on the protesters. I wouldn't blame them either.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hate to say it, but Phelps and his followers are entitled to peaceful freedom of speech and freedom of assembly too.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Azrael has not, and will not, comment on the wisdom of these protests.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Meaning what?

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Freedom of speech has limits, and these guys are so far past screaming fire in a crowded theater it isn't even funny.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They are not, however, entitled to protest without consequence.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a joke. I'm just riffing on what Obama said when he walked back his Mosque comments.

Obviously, you wouldn't defend the wisdom of these stupid protests.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course not.

But if someone elects to hose them down with pepper spray, that someone incurs consequences, too.

And noted, thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted