1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Stewart rips NASCAR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by skippy05, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's pretty much how I'm guessing it went down.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Nah. They probably just threatened to take his Ho-Hos and Cool Ranch Doritos away.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Stewart fined $10,000 and placed on probation.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

For not going to the media center. Has nothing to do with his comments.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Just throwing it out there, not sure I believe it myself, but would Stewart have been fined had he not made his comments? Someone who is around NASCAR more than I am would have the answer to that.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In the words of Junior Soprano:

"What do you want him to say? They muscled him!"

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

In keeping with the WWE-ification of NASCAR, Stewart also had his head shaved by Vince McMahon, was stunned by Stone Cold Steve Austin and received The People's Elbow from The Rock. Now he can smell what Mike Helton is cooking.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

This story isn't over yet...he'll let us know what he REALLY thought about the meeting on his radio show...

9. skippy05

skippy05 Member

I think the comments helped, but there is precedent for fining someone for not doing the post-race interviews. I don't know that I've ever heard of the punishment being that steep, but you could argue that there is precedent with the behavior.

Also, I'm not saying he showed much backbone today, but he did what he had to do, so I'm not faulting him too much. What I absolutely LOVED, though, were some NASCAR media people who were falling over themselves to kiss Tony's ass who suddenly and totally jumped ship and crucified the guy after the PC. And not only did they attack him, they totally started kissing NASCAR's ass and basically gave them kudoes for what they did and were insinuating that Tony was wrong for implying that NASCAR would cheat. I guess that's what happens when NASCAR owns the radio network, too...

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Jim Hunter: “I think Tony Stewart knows where he stands with us right now. This is the first time in NASCAR history that we’ve fined a driver for not fulfilling his media obligation. I don’t want to speculate on what’s going to happen in the future, but I would say the standard is set.”

11. skippy05

skippy05 Member

Translation: "Good boy, Tony...good boy..."

12. lono

lono Active Member

Hate to say I told you so, but it was obvious Tony was going to be in the media center apologizing on Friday. Or else.

Draft saved Draft deleted