1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Stewart rips NASCAR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by skippy05, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

NASCAR is a funny business. The question is which side cheats more, the drivers and crews or the rulesmakers. Funny thing is, what races I've covered, I'm amazed it takes so long for a caution when its clear there's debris on the track, next mind a crash (i.e. 2007 Daytona 500).
    But I can't imaging a 7/8s size car passing inspection. It would be too obvious. Now, 15/16ths is another story.
    Way back in the 60s, and maybe David Poole can remember the specifics, someone (driver? car owner? track owner?) complained there were too many yellows, that some of them were faked. The next race, maybe the World 600, no yellows, and Ned Jarrett wins by a dozen laps. Like I said, NASCAR is a funny business.

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I have always been told by various shop folks that the most "cheated-up" car to be cleared both before and after a race was the one Kevin Harvick drove to his first win shortly after the death of Earnhardt Sr.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I could see how that might happen.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It would have had so much more behind it if he had done this after a win.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Jimmie Johnson basically said as much after one of the early-season races -- California, possibly (they all run together) -- where a yellow cost him dearly. ... "I'm not sure they ever found that debris."

6. skippy05

skippy05 Member

The legendary 7/8 car...

7. skippy05

skippy05 Member

That's not surprising...especially when you look at Harvick's results at ATL since then...

8. skippy05

skippy05 Member

According to Jayski, NASCAR wouldn't let the 20 team unload the car until Tony chatted with officials re: his caution-flag comments. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that meeting. At California, I watched him break it off in John Darby's ass about NASCAR letting TV dictate how qualifying was run. He didn't like the fact that TV wanted Stewart to wait until after a commercial break to start his run. NASCAR bowed down like the good little lap dogs they are and when Smoke went out, the sun was setting and directly in his eyes. Richard Childress had to break the two up. Good times.

9. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

Has anyone seen/heard about Stewart's latest comments? He backtracked quite a bit:

http://www6.autonet.ca/Motorsports/Story.cfm?Story=/Motorsports/NASCAR/2007/04/27/4135308-ap.html

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Olympic level backstroking.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Whew! I was getting uncomfortable having dickhead Stewart be my champion for all that ills NASCAR. Thank God he backpedaled like a spanked little bitch so I could go on with my unfettered dislike of him.

Not only did NASCAR smoke Smoke, but Smoke's integrity went up in smoke too.

Did I mention I HATE the nickname Smoke? Go smoke a pole, Tony, you chicken shit.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mike Helton: Tony, your punk ass ain't seen rigged yet.
    Tony: uh, uh, uh **** I was misquoted. Fucking media. Revoke their privileges.

Draft saved Draft deleted