1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Stewart rips NASCAR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by skippy05, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Solid post. :)

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In my whine? Because that is how to some 20 comes across.

(RIP Don Ho.)

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's telling that in talking to my race fan father this morning (he's got tickets to the Indy 500, Brickyard and U.S. Grand Prix, as well as the NASCAR home package where you get individual channels devoted to a driver's car and telemetry), he ripped off about five or six questionable finishes that usually don't make the list for most questionable finishes in NASCAR history (Richard Petty's 200th win, Jeff Gordon's inaugural Brickyard win, Dale Sr. winning Daytona, Dale Jr. winning the Pepsi 400 in 2001, etc.). He brought up stuff like Kurt Busch, in the Sharpie car, winning the Sharpie 500 two years ago. What are the odds? He talked about races where one car magically moves from a lap down into the top five in about 10 laps. Tony Stewart is only saying what many have been thinking (or saying to reporters on condition of anonymity) for years.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The Lowe's-sponsored Jimmie Johnson has won a few races over the years at Lowe's Motor Speedway, hasn't he?

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

But you don't think a team that's capable of winning - say Hendrick or Roush - damn sure better have its shit together if they're running a race that is sponsored by one of its primaries?

I like a good conspiracy theory as the next person, but I'd also like to think Knaus and his bunch put a little more into winning in Charlotte. It's hard to imagine the Lowe's folks being happy with a car that competes week in and week out but runs 29th at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You could not get me to be Tony Stewart's PR guy for $10 million a year.
    That said, I'd rather deal with the devil than deal with Tony's dude. So I don't. He probably is a fine guy and his non helpfulness is probably because of the guy he's repping. I agree with all that. He's still been a dour prick every time I've had reason to talk to him. So I don't.
    Fortunately, I don't have to be around that scene too much.

All that said, Stewart is dead on.

7. IU90

IU90 Member

The number of suspiciously perfect storyline finishes in NASCAR do push the limits of believability: the only spanish-speaking Latin American driver wins his first race in the NASCAR race held in Mexico City; the Indiana native winning the first NASCAR race held in Indiana; Earnhardt Jr. winning the 1st Race after his dad's death on the same track where he was killed; and a few other eyebrow raisers over the years. You see this enough and you can't help but wonder if there's some shady manipulation going on. But Stewart's the only guy with balls enough to say it.

8. IU90

IU90 Member

I don't watch NASCAR enough to know if this is true, but those who do have told me that there is indeed a noticeable pattern where whenever the cars get too spread out without much close racing, or when the "wrong" guy takes a big lead, that's when you can expect to see these suspicious caution flags, bringing the cars back together in a pack, allegedly for some mystery "debris" on the track that no cameras can find. Yet, those cautions never seem to come out when the good-storyline guy takes the lead or when there's good racing at the front.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, his saying it will change nothing. -- because Nascar fans will keep coming...

10. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Something tells me that the No. 20 car will have a tougher time getting through inspection this weekend.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Slappy, you're right. But does that mean he should follow rank-and-file and stay under the mushroom like many of the others are doing on the circuit?

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

He sounds like a baby, even though he does have a point, IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted