1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Stewart-Kevin Ward incident

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Listen closely - does it sound like an engine revving just before the contact?

2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Looks like he'll be racing as planned at Watkins Glen.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ward was wearing a black suit/helmet and the track wasn't exactly bathed in light. I don't think that can be discounted.

The pro move is to stay near your car and throw your helmet at a car as it passes by. To get out of your car on a narrow dirt track and walk down into or damned near the racing groove is never a good idea.

I'm trying to give Smoke the benefit of the doubt. But it's hard to do that with him, too. I think if this had been Kasey Kahne or another well-known driver with a dirt-track background, they'd get more of a pass.

4. SellOut

SellOut Member

So you're saying Ward should have just done this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwc8obMmv7o

Again, I believe there was zero intent for Stewart to physically harm Ward. But I certainly believe there's a chance he was trying to intimidate him. The other six cars that passed Ward before Stewart swung by were going significantly slower.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why would Stewart want to scare the guy? It's not like they have a history or had been jawing all night like in a football game. The first moment he would have known the guy was pissed was a split second before he hit him.

6. Dick Whitman

Because Ward hadn't run out closer to the cars at that point.

7. Stewart is fucked.

Ward walks down toward the cars, but Stewart's car runs well above the groove of the other cars. And he revved his engine or something as he made contact to fishtail his vehicle.

Yeah, I think he was trying to intimidate him and it got out of hand. He's fucked.
    Sheriff was quoted as saying "there was a lot of bad decisions involved all the way around, but nothing intentional.
    And yeah, probably that's true. But ....

The worst was Stewart riding above the groove of the other cars and fishtailing his vehicle.
    I think he will be charged with a crime. And sued out the ass to boot.

I am gobsmacked NASCAR is allowing him to race today.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Because he's Tony Stewart trying to act like a bad ass on a dirt track. I heard a revving of the throttle before he got plunked. And the instant reaction by the people who could be heard in the video is telling, with them immediately thinking it appeared intentional.

9. Dick Whitman

They say, "Holy shit, Tony Stewart just hit that guy."

Which he did.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Perhaps (I didn't, though), but you have two nanoseconds to make a decision between a bad move, a really bad move and an even worse one.

If you slow down or try to stop, you risk being hit from behind and causing a chain reaction. If you steer violently, you fishtail, perhaps flip over and leave yourself a sitting duck in the middle of the track. Option No. 3: Steer as much as the physics will allow and accelerate to get past this guy (who's moving as close as he can to you, BTW!) as quick as you can.

Not all of them. A couple of cars that passed as soon as Ward got out of his car were as high on the track as Stewart. A few others were lower.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Stewart not racing today.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm surprised anyone here is even entertaining the notion that this might've been intentional. That just runs too far afield of the common sense test to even be a consideration to me.

When I watched the clip I simply could not get past how supremely stupid Ward was. Now I realize such a tragic incident today requires weeks of discussion and debate over blame allocation and the state of the sport. But, nonetheless, allow me to suggest the analysis here could justifiably end at "don't run onto a dirt track toward speeding oncoming race cars at night while wearing a dark black suit." I mean, jesus, to say he was asking to be hit through his behavior is understatement.

Draft saved Draft deleted