1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Snow RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Well-said.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Respectfully disagreed with most of his views, but he appeared willing to listen and exchange ideas. Let us learn.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

A very nice, respectful tribute from an unlikely source:

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat/336564/

EDIT: And I echo what CI said. Didn't agree with much of what he believed in, but I can respect the man for his dignity and for trying to communicate with the other side.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

He didn't flat out "lie" for one side. He laid out the facts and his job was to tell the media the logic behind the WH thinking. A guy like McClelland can roll up to the mic, and give press-speak and bullshit around the tree. Tony was clearly not the type. Yes, he was better than that, but don't forget that he left after 17 months...it wasn't enough money to take care of the family, as well as cancer treatment.

It's safe to say this, BT, but all of us had already said it earlier: he did his job in the White House, whether he was speaking for Mother Theresa or for Darth Vader. If anyone didn't like him for being PS in that administration, anyone else would be bitter about it. Tony let that shit slide and still treated people fairly.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Guess who is coming to the funeral — Fred Phelps and his gang of nutjobs from the Westboro Baptist Church.

Seriously, how have these people been able to do this without someone kicking the shit out of them?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Easy - they almost never show up.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I saw their schedule of planned protests and what was written.

All I can say is wow, those people are seriously screwed up.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

While it is clear that Snow was respected, I kind of wonder why he wasn't a bigger "name" in the punditocracy? Was he too much of a straight-shooter and not willing to be bombastic? He wasn't a flame-thrower, a pooh-bah, an elitist, a crank, a fuddy-duddy, a good ol' boy, a hack, a flack or a crony.
    They were showing some of his "final thoughts" from his stint on Fox News Sunday and man, that guy could write. He was a truly thoughtful man.

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Dan, I think you answered your own question. I'm willing to bet that you, like quite a few folks here, can really write. Why are you not a bigger star? Why are you not Stephen A.? Or Skip Bayless?
    Because you aren't willing to make a complete ass of yourself.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Two excellent epitaphs that sum up Tony Snow's legacy rather nicely.

My stepmother died of colon cancer at 53. Folks, get those colonoscopies, please.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Good points, but Snow did quite well for himself as a journalist and commentator.

He hosted Fox News Sunday, their "Meet the Press", for several years, so it wasn't like he was some anonymous talking head. He filled in for Rush when the druggie was playing golf, on vacation or whatever.

My mother-in-law, a dittohead to the core, spoke highly of him. Not having listened to it, but knowing Tony Snow's work, it was probably a big improvement.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

This really does suck.

I liked Tony and all the work he did on FOX News. I enjoyed watching him on Bill Maher's joke of a show taking stupid comments from Maher's a-hole guests who didn't make factual points against the administration, but rather mocked or made jokes about as if it were fact. Tony would just snicker and continue to have a logical discussion about the topic, staying on point all the way and just once - that I remember - raising his voice to call another guest out on the stupid antics.

This was a great man for the conservative voice.

Draft saved Draft deleted