1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Snow, Elizabeth Edwards, and Cancer.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rallen13, Mar 27, 2007.

1. rallen13

rallen13 Member

In recent threads, much has been said (good and bad) about both Republicans and Democrats. But now the great leveler, cancer, has reared its ugly head in both parties. It has been announced that Presidential spokesman Tony Snow, a colon cancer survivor, now has a recurrence of cancer which has spread to his liver. Recently, it was made public that Mrs. Edwards had suffered a recurrence of breast cancer, which has gotten into the bone in her rib area.
    Our political debates are fun, serious and meaningful. Cancer is not fun, only serious and meaningful, and it is a Radical Independent. So, regardless of our political leanings, let us keep these and all those afflicted by this insisious disease in our hearts, minds and prayers.
    Many areas will be holding cancer awareness walks and other events this weekend. Support them when and however you can.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thanks big guy.

Lost my wonderful grandmother to cancer so you'll never hear me cheer the illness of anyone (except maybe a convicted killer, etc.).

Karma's a bitch folks. Don't laugh at the medical pain of others.

3. Some People would agree.
    I'm one of them.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Then there are those who think if you're not making jokes about cancer, you're "sanctimonious."

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/31360/

5. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Agreed, Lugz. Sometimes it does help to joke about it. But I think it would be better to joke about the disease rather than about those afflicted.
    Here in H-Town, there have been a number of the talkers on the box complaining about Edwards continuing to run while his wife is ravaged by the disease. If I was the one with cancer, I would want my spouse to keep pugging along so I would have something to do besides just sitting and thinking about dying. I would want to be useful rather than a burden.
    Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't vote for Edwards on a bet. I believe there are far better Dem's out there. Its just bugging me to hear the attacks. I don't think they have credence.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

rallen,

I see what you're saying.

I was being sarcastic with my post up there. In the thread I linked, there were some real dumbass things posted in the name of "humor" (note the quotation marks). When some of us said it just wasn't funny, we were called "sanctimonious."

Cancer affects so many people. Either you or someone you know will get it.

I don't believe in karma. But one thing is clear: At some point, every single one of us comes to know loss.

7. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Understood, Lugz. Thanx.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Won't hear me joke about it. Killed my dad about four years ago. Not a funny subject.

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I second that.

Even though I am not a fan of Snow's I am sorry to hear he has become ill. Here is hoping the best for him, Elizabeth Edwards, and anyone else fighting their Cancer battle right now.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I wonder how bad Snow is. I listened to the radio and it sounded like people were very shaken up. Bush tried to sound upbeat but - and like I say, I listed on the radio - he sounded scared, as well you would expect when somebody you work closely with is going through that.

This sounds really bad.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I believe Jim Murray said it best:

"The four saddest words in the English language: 'The cancer has metastasized'."

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Lost my dad to it 5 years ago, my mother doesn't have much longer right now because of it.

Yeah, this disease was invented by Satan.

Draft saved Draft deleted