1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Reali: 0 errors, 0 omissions, but 1 Big Goodbye

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 5, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Who finds Kornheiser funny? Am I just pathologically unresponsive to Borscht Belt-type humor or is he actually funny?

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I got my hands on a couple compilations of his columns and there was, imo, hit-or-miss material there, but I did like his old ESPN Radio show back in the day. He never tried to be laugh-out-loud funny, but it was entertaining. His "Old Guy Radio" segments playing old Animals or Doors songs and going into how influential they were was pretty solid. Then he would talk to reporters about what was going on in the world or sports, a huge break from the show on the air in the next timeslot back then, Dan Patrick, where he would interview a wide range of athletes about what their favorite song was or if they played themselves on Playstation. Once Mr. Tony got bumped by Collin Cowherd (barf) I stopped listening to sports talk radio for the most part.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I find him to be extremely funny. His radio show is my favorite podcast.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I've been a listener to his radio show/podcast since it began and have been reading his Post columns since he started at the Post. I think he's funny and has well informed opinions. I didn't like his Style Section columns that much but I looked forward to reading him in the sports section. He and Wilbon yelled at each other in their columns and on local TV long before PTI. It works cause they like each other enough to be viscous about their opposing positions but not ever make it personal.

Wilbon is a self important preening shmoe with zero self-awareness and no ability to be self deprecating. Mr Tony is the only person on air or in print to bust his chops. Tony does the same with Feinstein, who has the most educated opinions but who is not nearly as witty as he thinks.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

A Kornheiser who would be allowed to just say what he wants about people would be tremendous. But an essential part of him is that he loves the Mr. Tony life.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

You mean Around The Horn?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Mr. Tony's radio show was the best thing ESPN put on air.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The old "Internet" version of his ESPN radio show was tremendous in that regard. They would just leave the feed on during the commercials, so you'd hear all the off-air chatter between Kornheiser and the gang.

They broadcast the show from the ESPN Zone in Washington at the time, and Kornheiser apparently caught a promo for "Up Close" on one of the TVs.

He then said, "Roy Firestone ... I hate that fuckin' guy."

Kornheiser didn't get "bumped" from ESPN Radio by Cowherd. He quit his radio show to do Monday Night Football.

And his radio show still airs live every weekday, but is only "over-the-air" in Washington. You can listen to it live at espn980.com or in podcast delay form at http://thispodcaststinks.libsyn.com/.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

His last ESPN show was in March 2004. His first season with MNF was 2006.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My bad. I do remember it being voluntary, however. Probably because of the success/demands of doing PTI.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I was surprised they didn't give Stat Boy more of a sendoff. Just a quick how-do-ya-do at the end and some confetti before going to SC.

Mr. Tony, Wilbuns and Anthony Joseph (fill in the blank) Reali was my "Big 3" since before I got married. Probably the only show I can say I try to watch every day.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The thing about PTI was that it was natural. It was just a couple of guys doing what they would do anyway, except instead of sitting around the office or having a debate over lunch, they did it in a studio. Around the Horn and the shows that came after were forced.

I find Kornheiser funny and Wilbon great to listen to, depending on the topic. Wilbon is also a nice guy who will go above and beyond to help a nobody in this business out.

Draft saved Draft deleted