1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Mandarich admits he used steroids, and of course he is very sorry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

actually, the way i remember it, mandarich was a can't miss prospect.

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I worked on CFL programs starting out. I remember John Mandarich's questionaire when logging in his bio for an Edmonton program. "Nickname: Juice" I didn't put it in, mostly because you're never quite sure that the athlete has filled in his own questionaire on these things. But if he did, he was pretty cavalier about it. If he didn't, it was an open secret.

o-<

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He was. I don't remember anybody questioning the pick at the time.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Mandarich used steroids and he still sucked.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Here we go, on the FRONT PAGE of ESPN.com, and set for a Sportscenter appearance on Sunday:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4073575

And, of course, he's still sorry. Very, very sorry. So sorry. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

6. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Is there anybody here who actually didn't know Mandarich used steroids? I mean, the first time they ever became aware of him.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

His lowest point may have come when his brother was near death from cancer in the winter of 1993. Tony drove off on a 16-hour round-trip to pick up pills for himself that he'd persuaded a doctor to prescribe. When he got back, John was dead. "Painkillers were more important to me than holding my brother's hand as he died," Tony says.

That's just sad.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Exactly. The experts back then would have vilified any of those five teams for passing on Mandarich in '89. We didn't know then what we know now. We may have "known" it, but not "officially."

They say hindsight's 20/20. I'm sure the Cowboys, Lions, Chiefs and Falcons were very happy with their picks. With 1989 knowledge, the Packers likely were happy with theirs.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I seem to recall some questions about his work ethic prior to the draft. But that may just have been some of the usual CYA bullshit teams spread to knock down a kid's stock.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Very very sad. Boo hoo.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted