1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Mandarich admits he used steroids, and of course he is very sorry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Perles would have been better-served in life had he, himself, somehow discovered just such a substance, for his own use.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, I thought it was a well-written story... And the only one who could have done it was Telander. Didn't change my opinion of Mandarich and reenforced my opinion of Perles. But Telander did a nice job of drawing things out.

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Shocking that this wasn't all natural:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Doesn't that pretty much sum up Jose Canseco's feelings on the subject?

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

"I'm sorry, Rick. The phrase I was wrong was not in my vocabulary back then. But I was wrong. I conned you. I lied to you about not using steroids. I was a jackass. I don't want to be like that anymore."

Say what you want about Mandarich, but I believe those words might be the most honest, direct and sincerely remorseful ones I've seen from any of the steroid era athletes.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only upset in that whole '89 draft was he went before the Jets drafted Jeff Lageman so they couldn't draft him. Fail squared.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bull fucking shit. The shaved ape is trying to sell a book.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perles has a book coming out too?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

a) several years ago

b) i don't know, or want to know, whether he shaves or not, and if so, what. :eek: :eek:

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was just trying to see which ape you were talking about

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

um, wasn't he drafted before barry sanders as well? regardless that whole Mandarich fiasco finally convinced the Packers that the current management was full of fail and they had to get new leadership in there. Helloo Ron Wolf.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

There were 4 current or future Hall of Famers taken with the first 5 picks that year (Aikman, Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Deion). The Packers picked Mandarich 2nd, behind Aikman.

Draft saved Draft deleted