1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony LaRussa retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 31, 2011.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Does Werth still count as a good young piece?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Like his mentor Sain, he got no support from that organization to run his program the way he wanted to.

But Mazzone had as many successful resurrection projects in Atlanta as Duncan did in Oakland/St. Louis. If he wants it, he deserves at least one more real shot to be a pitching coach somewhere. If he fails again, maybe we can chalk it up to no Big Three (and no Cox.)

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are you inferring there was dysfunction in place in Baltimore? Why I never!

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The fact that he hasn't gotten hired anywhere for the last four seasons probably speaks to the industry's perception of the Atlanta success.

5. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I'm glad he went out on top, but I haven't been a huge fan of Tony's style of over-managing. I've also thought his teams at times were pretty weak fundementally on defense and baserunning. Evidently he's done a good job of motivating his players in the clubhouse and I guess he does a good job of dealing with the agents, who seem to call most of the shots now. Still, managers are rated by their record and championships and Tony's going into the HOF.

And of course he failed to win 4 World Championships with 4 juggernaught 100+ win teams (1988, 1990, 2004, and 2005) but won 3 championships with 1980's Oakland's worst pennant winner (89) and the 83-win Cards (06) and the 90-win Cards (11).

1. I have no idea as to what that says about LaRussa other than how much of a crapshoot the playoffs can be.

2. TLR has also had an insane amount of talent to work with over the years: McGwire, Henderson, Canseco, Eck, Welch, Stewart, Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, Carpenter, Wainwright, Holliday, Berkman.

Who couldn't win with those guys?

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Norv Turner?

Really, is that a crazy amount of talent over those years? Aren't there a bunch of teams that would have impressive lists? I agree that he underachieved in the post-season with the A's, but these St. Louis teams weren't all that great.

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Mike Hargrove didn't win a thing with (begin roll call): Albert Belle, Kenny Lofton, Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, Orel Hershiser, Eddie Murray, Robbie Alomar, David Justice, Bartolo Colon, Omar Vizquel, etc in Cleveland.

Lou Piniella won with the Reds but couldn't win with all the talent in late 90's Seattle, as well as one of the most talented Cubs teams ever in 2008.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Refresh my memory, who was the manager Piniella beat in 1990?

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

His Reds beat LaRussa's A's in 1990.

But the point was there are a lot of managers that have had at least as much talent on their teams as LaRussa did between Oakland and St. Louis that didn't win.

Earl Weaver's Orioles routinely won 90 (and often 100+) games a season but only won the World Series once.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What's with the rumors that TLR's elevator's stopping a few floors short of the top lately? Shades of Pat Summittitis?

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Eckersley wasn't an insane talent when the A's got him. He was a guy who had failed with the Cubs. LaRussa and Duncan made him a closer, which is what got him to the Hall of Fame. Berkman? The guy was on the scrap heap, went to St. Louis and had a year that nobody expected. I don't know id LaRussa had anything to do with his acquisition, but Berkman was far from a sure thing. Carpenter had been released when the Cardinals took a chance on him and he revived his career.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The best player in baseball (for a number of years) is enough to make it advantageous for him.

If anyone in the La Russa orbit should have his legend shined, it's Duncan.

Draft saved Draft deleted