1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony LaRussa retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I don't think Francona is a Cardinals kind of guy.

Mazzone was a disaster as pitching coach in Baltimore. He forgot to bring Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This all stems from the awkward transition La Russa tried to make from Ozzie to Royce Clayton.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jumpin Jesus. How do you not like Ozzie Smith?

As for LaRussa protecting his roid users, that by itself is nowhere near a damnable offense. Every single person in baseball turns a blind eye to steroids (my very favorite: Matt Holliday, with veins bulging out of his arms and Scott Boras as his agent, declaring he's never heard anyone talk about steroids). But it's LaRussa's pious protector-of-the-game schtick, juxtaposed with running clubhouses filled with players on every drug known to man, that pisses people off.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

LaRussa's on Letterman tonight. (Leno has Freese).

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2011/10/tony-la-russa-visits-david-letterman-tonight.html

5. Smasher_Sloan

Hmm, good ol' Oz tended to be a bit Oz-centric.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ozzie has many times called La Russa a liar because he supposedly promised him an "open competition" with Royce Clayton for shortstop in 1996, then picked Clayton as the starter even though Ozzie clearly outperformed him in spring training. But like smasher said, Ozzie's ego is a many-splendored thing.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

La Russa has run off young players and veterans, because he is a nettlesome ass. More young players than vets in recent years.

Smith might have an ego but to say a franchise icon is unwelcome in camp is the height of arrogance.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He also ran off Rolen, if memory serves me correctly.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Who also got himself run out of Philadelphia and Toronto. Pretty sure Rolen has a problem with everyone everywhere.

10. Smasher_Sloan

I would tend to think that, except Rolen's problem in Philly was Larry Bowa. Bowa was a problem for a lot of people.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fair enough. Still doesn't explain perfectly laidback Toronto, for goodness sakes. (I think the spin is he wanted to be closer to home, which I don't buy. Guy has a track record)

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I think the people they roast have to have a sense of humor about their actions, Knight doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted