1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony LaRussa retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 31, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The average time of a game just dropped seven minutes with that announcement.

Hire Francona...then cue the jokes about clubhouse beer and Busch Stadium.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Cubs might have an open spot soon.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

I think the phone scam of Game 5 was a senior moment that told him he needed to get the hell out of here. Maybe now he can quit using hair color. He forgot to dab it on his sideburns during the series.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Post-Dispatch stories say he decided in August that it would be his last season, and that's probably why reporters noted that he seemed happier than usual during the playoff run.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

i'd rather have Nedley.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He talked quite a bit about trying to enjoy it and savor it. And I don't think he ever thought that team was going to win the World Series.

Even as an East Coaster who only occasionally saw the Cardinals this season until the playoffs began, I thought you could see there was an air of reflection in a lot of his interviews.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Nats end up with Pujols or Fielder - I'd guess Pujols. All the reasons that told them to sign Werth last year for too much money with apply threefold to Pujols. Think of the buzz entering next season with him added to the lineup, Strassburg healthy and Harper looming as a potential mid-season call-up along with some other good, young pieces (Zimmerman(n), Storen, Espinosa, Werth, Desmond, Morse).

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I like to think about LaRussa sitting in his library playing stratomatic - taking five hours to play each game, wearing out Marc Rzepczynski's card until it's creased and faded from overuse.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Ozzie Smith might be spending more time around the organization now. La Russa had said a few years ago (with his typical arrogance) that Ozzie wasn't welcome.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why the fuck not?

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2453573

This is five years old but there were more words when La Russa was having problems with Brendan Ryan.

12. Raiders

Raiders Guest

You're dreaming.

Draft saved Draft deleted