1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony La Russa arrested

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moondoggy, Mar 22, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The police report shows that La Russa said that he was drinking wine.

2. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Scoreboard.

With Mike Schmidt and Vic Damone.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

“I’m not sure what type of statement to give,” La Russa said after his team’s 2-1 spring training loss to the Florida Marlins on Thursday. “I’ve been scribbling stuff.

“Last night’s situation is the opposite of feeling good. It was an embarrassment, so I apologize to anyone who is close to me, members of the Cardinals organization, our fans. I regret it, take responsibility and I’m not sure there is anything else I can say.”

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Why would he submit to the test?

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Because he was too drunk to remember that he's a lawyer and that any lawyer would tell the perp to refuse to take it?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Implied consent.

By driving, you consent to the test.

In most states, if you refuse the test, the penalties are roughly the same as a DUI. Automatic. No going to court and pleading down.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As a life long Cubs fan just let me say, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

8. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Yep, you could WIN your DUI case but still face penalties just as stiff from your refusal to consent to the BAC test. It would be a rather hollow victory.

Now, he SHOULD have been smart enough to decline the field sobriety test. Free legal advice to SportsJournalists.commers: It's a test you cannot pass. It's used by the police to gather evidence against you. Don't make it easier for them.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Florida is one of those states.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Well, this explains it all. I've wondering for months why Florida drivers nearly plow you over only to spend 10 seconds crossing the next intersection after a red light.

I think he most likely fell asleep because he was tired. I've done this. And I've noticed in the past that a few beers tend to make me really sleepy. He's accepted responsibility. I can't imagine that anyone could ask for much more. After all, he wasn't toasted or anything. Maybe buzzed, but not toasted. If he was, in fact, sleepy, he might not have noticed any effect from the liquor.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

No, and I'm a Cardinals fan.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

So La Russa shouldn't be punished for breaking the law?
    He was legally drunk and behind the wheel of a vehicle. That is know as driving under the influence. Fine and license suspension should be mandatory.

Draft saved Draft deleted