1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony La Russa arrested

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moondoggy, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

At .09 he's probably as impaired as your typical 70 year old sober person.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't have any sympathy for LaRussa here, and it has nothing to do with him coaching the Cardinals.

I don't drink. Growing up, I made the conscious decision not to drink. There are some slight medical concerns here, but the big reason was that it just never appealed to me, so I quickly earned designated driver status, which was fine. I would rather drive, knowing that my friends are safe, rather than hearing about how a friend got behind the wheel drunk, got into an accident and did harm to some innocent person.

I hate driving on New Year's Eve, because there aren't enough people on the roads like me, but it's better than one more drunk on the roads.

No excuses. LaRussa's just fortunate that he didn't do any harm to himself or anyone else. Very fortunate.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Word is he had to make two phone calls to get bailed out.

Originally, he had Braden Looper coming to bail him out, but he found out the judge was left handed and he called Randy Flores instead.

4. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I don't know that anyone's making excuses... just suggesting that there could be another explanation, since people don't typically pass out after having a few beers.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

The point is, the legal limit -- right or worng -- is .08. He was .093...legally driving drunk.
    What is there to discuss here?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Cardinals fans gave him a standing O before today's spring training game.

7. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Very well done.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Another example of the best fans in all of baseball......

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Did Tony come out of the dugout to give the lineup card on a herd of Clydesdales?

10. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

The Palm Beach Post has the police report online - http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/palmbeachpost/pdf/sports/larussa/Larussa_arrest.pdf

That .093 he blew was more than 90 minutes after he was first stopped, so it was probably considerably higher at some point.

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

How old is he? 65? Probably had more to do with the 'early Thursday morning" timeline than the 2-3 Buds he was pounding back. Especially since he's up at 5 a.m. every morning plotting managerial strategy.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So he was provably drunk? Demonstrably drunk?

Draft saved Draft deleted