1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony La Russa and other sports bullies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Apr 28, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

After his attack on the Post-Dispatch, it might be time to come up with a list of sports media bullies, past and present.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What was the incident of which you speak?

Media bullies, what major coach isn't?

3. boots

boots New Member

La Russa ripped the beat writer for the Post-Dispatch following last night's game over a column in the paper directed at Lou Pinella and the Cubs. La Russa didn't like the column and said he wouldn't take any questions from a Post-Dispatch reporter.
    La Russa does this shit too often.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That's petty-ass shit.

5. boots

boots New Member

No, that's La Russa and he's done this cowardly shit too often in the past.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

This was very petty by LaRussa, especially his taking it out on the beat reporters. Weak

7. Troy

Troy New Member

Any mentioning of Lou Piniella and his uproar with the media? Or is everyone's excuse for him was that he was just too frustrated with his team's play? Ah, I'm all too biased anyway.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Even better, at the Boston Baseball Writers Dinner the year the Red Sox won the World Series, LaRussa comes to the event to put up his World Series lineup cards for auction for charity. In the pre-dinner VIP meet-and-greet social hour, for which I got tickets for my cousin - a big LaRussa fan at the time because of his love for the Oakland A's - and his son (my Godson), my Godson drops a baseball that he was bringing around for autographs. It rolls into LaRussa's little circle, which my cousin and Godson were approaching to ask for an autograph, and rolls against LaRussa's foot. He sees the 6-year-old kid approaching to get the ball and kicks it in the other direction toward the corner of the room so the kid has to chase it down through a crowd of people. Then he turns to his "body guard" and says keep these kids away from me.

Needless to say my cousin isn't a fan anymore - why he was I'll never know - and LaRussa is an even bigger douche in my eyes.

Draft saved Draft deleted