1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Kornheiser Sucks on MNF

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bd11, Sep 19, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Don't many (most) on-air personalities start out working the sticks? Spokane, Tuscaloosa, The Ocho?

This is the problem when you start out working Broadway your first gig. There's still a lot of the little things to work out.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You don't think it's ballsy to call bullshit on a boothmate? OK.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Kornheiser is an experienced on-air personality. That isn't the issue. This is a completely different environment and there aren't a lot of three-man TV football booths to work in Tuscaloosa for practice.

4. JackS

JackS Member

Plus, his lines were about three levels beyond the IQ of the average beer swilling, burping football fan. A lot of 'em were way beyond my comprehension, and I'm a friggin' egghead.

I haven't heard Kornheiser yet, but Miller was possibly the worst hire ever.

5. trounced

trounced Active Member

Make a game like that more interesting? It was a great game. If you can't appreciate last night's Jags-Steelers game you don't like football.

6. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nessler, Jaws and Vermeil put this team to shame last week. It's a shame the wrong trio got the MNF job.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Honestly, I was in no position to judge it objectively because I am a Steelers fan. I was riveted from kickoff to final gun, but there are plenty of fans out there who don't care for puntfests like that.

I was following off a previous poster's comment, saying that the game didn't give the announcers much to talk about. Not sure I agree, but again, I'm not objective in this case.

My point was Kornheiser not only failed to enhance the viewers' experience, he detracted from it. Apparently, you found it difficult to follow. And of course, your opinion on what makes good football is the incontrovertible truth. :)

9. sheos

sheos Member

Cosell was drunk during MNF broadcast, and that made him loose. I think Tony could be great, he just needs a drink or two - nothing too stiff.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He did make one statement that bothered me... On a completed pass, I don't remember which team (but then against I'm not on MNF), he said something like "he threw to that guy over there."
    You're getting paid to know that A) it's a receiver and B) the receiver's name.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I liked Dennis Miller. He kept me awake when Michaels and Fouts were threatening to put me to sleep. I think the best team going (if it is still going) is Enberg and Dierdorf. No BS, easy to listen to, solid play-by-play and analysis.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is that allowed?

Draft saved Draft deleted