1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Kornheiser Sucks on MNF

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bd11, Sep 19, 2006.

1. bd11

bd11 Member

I know this will piss off the Tony worshipers on this board, but he is awful. He brings nothing to the table. He is like the old uncle who makes dumb jokes that you politely laugh at. Maybe 1 time out of 10 his comment is either funny or useful. "That's not his area code, it's his weight." Painful. They would be better off just paring Theisman and Whitlock, I mean Tirico.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's not funny.
    He's not particularly well informed.
    He doesn't offer an interesting perspective.

You can acyually feel embarrassed for the man during the show. There are moments during the game when you think "there's an obvious spot for something humerous or off the wall that Tony could hit out" but only dead air followed by an inane comment from Theissman

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've only caught a little bit of the games thus far, so it's a small sample size. But the first thought I had while listening to him was was Dennis Miller. Not because of using big words, or silly sayings. But he just seems out of place. Asking questions, instead of giving insight.

He's not horrible, and no amount of lipstick is going to gloss up a 9-0 pig. But so far, the Tony Kornheiser experience has totally re-defined "Much ado about nothing".

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He is pretty unspectacular

5. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I wonder how much Tony's holding back because of ABC/ESPN and/or the NFL. I love Tony on PTI, but I just can't see him getting away with calling a coach or a player "a dope," as he so often does or used to do on his radio show and PTI. The network can make a big splash saying they have a Cosell-like guy now in Kornheiser who's going to shake up the booth. But how far will they actually let him go? I'd like to see him at least push the envelope a little more and find out instead of saying, "It's 0-0 at the two-minute warning. I'd bet the under."

I always thought Dennis Miller's downfall wasn't that his witty comments sucked, it was that he pretty much quit making those comments in favor of name dropping. Almost every week, he'd say something like, "We got to have lunch with Art Modell Friday. What a great guy. He's done so much for the NFL." Yeah, as if Dennis didn't have a notebook full of lines ripping Modell's treatment of Cleveland before ABC made him chuck it in the incinerator.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was wondering how long it would take to start this thread. No, no announcer can make a game like that more interesting, but he actually made the viewing experience worse. Dennis Miller may have been out of place, but he was better than Kornheiser.

Then again, I hated Kornheiser's radio show, too. He's just much better with the written word.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

All three of them are horrible. Bring back Nessler-Vermeil-Jaworski.

That trio didn't help make a 9-0 game even close to being bearable to watch.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He so often does that because he doesn't have to face the "dope" down the line. Not so on MNF, when he could be facing the "dope" in a later-scheduled game.

I've never been enamored by his particular brand of humor, so I'm not surprised that much of stuff is falling flat. For me, much of it fell flat in print, so what's the difference now?

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Interesting thought, but I think it's more a case of: Live game telecasts are hard.

So many people who do taped or simply 'guest' on shows without having to be 'the authority' are quickly exposed for their lack of broadcasting skills when put on a live game.

Plus--- as hard as doing color on a live game is... play-by-play is about 50 times harder.

There was a point late in the game where Tony did a 'trend' stat. It was fine, but I was like: "They needed Kornheiser to point that out?" It was so obviously fed to him so he'd have something meaningful to say.

You know, I think the sooner we stop trying to bring back Cosell, the better off viewers will be. There was only one Cosell.

10. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

It's not like he's getting any help from Tirico and Joey T.
    You have to figure there's some resentment from those two. ABC/ESPN wants you to hear MNF and think Tony K. I bet Tirico and Joe love the 'Ask Tony!' segment.

Tirico needs to stop dominating the 'cross-promotional' interviews.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm in a few fantasy leagues, and I get pissed off when someone starts ripping on those who do fantasy sports, but this is right on. Fantasy discussions need to stay off actual commentary on game telecasts. It's just a line I don't want to see crossed.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

There was a point last night where Theismann proclaimed that Roethlisberger was back. Then, almost instantly, he said that Roethlisberger was really struggling.

Kornheiser said, "Two plays ago you said he was back."

For that alone, he deserves credit.

The problem with Dennis Miller was he had convoluted lines that were obviously scripted and he was hellbent on inserting them whether they were relevant to anything or not.

Not that Kornheiser didn't understand it going in, but this a completely different environment. It's not a three-way PTI because the game is there, too. There are commercial/promo breaks at odd times. You're talking and listening to the truck at the same time. And there is the damnable presence of Theismann completely overwhelming the broadcast.

Anybody who expected this to be smooth from the start is misguided.

Draft saved Draft deleted