1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony George (on 6/30) resigns CEO post of Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IRL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Clerk Typist, May 27, 2009.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Re: Report: Tony George out as CEO of Indianapolis Motor Speedway

True, but Danica's lack of consistent success would make a move to NASCAR a gimmick that would not work in anyone's favor. At least the other racers had proven themselves in other series. Plus, this isn't a NASCAR on the upswing -- she would be joining only because NASCAR needs a gimmick to get mainstream attention again. And if you thought the Indy-car boys were harsh, that's nothing compared to the backlash she's going to get in NASCAR. Five years ago, I could have seen this move as an obvious one for everyone. Not, I'm not so sure it's even the best move for Danica Patrick.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Danica wants to be a "brand" -- more endorsements, magazine covers, cereal boxes, whathaveyou. She won't get that while toiling in a series televised mostly on Versus. And she will get an eye-popping salary in NASCAR, plus merchandise sales, etc., and even though she's not hurting for money, it's gonna be tough to turn down. It's the classic case of big fish in small pond vs. small fish in big pond. Except she won't be the small fish in anything but driving.

Don't get me wrong, I hope she stays in IndyCar because I like that series and want to see it have a fighting chance at survival. But outside of hanging around for repeated chances to win the Indy 500, I don't see a ton of incentive to stay. Again, she can always come back later, like Franchitti.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is George out or not? Were the reports right or wrong?

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Reading all of the reports (and between the lines), my guess is:
    *-TG was asked to spend more of his energy running the IRL so it would quick sucking money away from the track.
    *-The sisters have kids who would like to be more involved with the Speedway and they're trying to pave the path for one of them (Kyle Krisloff is probably the best-known of the bunch).
    *-So therefore TG was encouraged to spend more time with the IRL, but as of now, not necessarily removed as CEO, although he'll probably step down at some point to allow one of the sister's kids to take the position.
    *-TG has very little to do with the track's day-to-day operations as it is -- he stepped away from that role after starting Vision Racing. Joie Chitwood runs the track on a day-to-day basis.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Re: Tony George says he's still CEO of Indianapolis Motor Speedway

George is still in, but has been told by the family, which comprises the board (along with one non-family member) to focus on the IRL, i.e., get it profitable. Here's the release from IMS:

INDIANAPOLIS MOTOR SPEEDWAY STATEMENT
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009

At a regular meeting of the board of directors of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Tuesday, May 26, board members asked Tony George, chief executive officer of the IMS companies, to devise a plan for management of Hulman & Company, the Indy Racing League, Clabber Girl and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway that would allow him to focus on the business which requires the greatest attention. This plan is to be presented to the board at a meeting later this year.

IMS Chairman of the Board Mari Hulman George said: “There was a general discussion about the challenges and opportunities facing all of our companies and where most of our energies need to be spent. All of our properties are doing well, given the challenges of the current economy. The Indy Racing League represents our greatest growth opportunity and therefore deserves the most attention at this point.”

Tony George said: “Contrary to published reports, I continue to serve as CEO of IMS. Our board of directors met yesterday, and we did discuss how to best confront challenges and exploit opportunities facing our businesses. This is nothing new and is something that we continually do as a board. But no changes in leadership or responsibility have been made. We don’t normally comment on board deliberations concerning our family business. However, the widespread, inaccurate reports and rumors caused my mother and me to conclude that it was necessary to set the record straight. If changes are made in the management of the company that are newsworthy, we will announce them when they are made.”

…IMS2009…

I can't figure out how to link to the specific page, but WISH-TV's website has a tape of George's short news conference outside the track's HQ building.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Re: Report: Tony George says he's still CEO of Indianapolis Motor Speedway

FYI, the board is Mari Hulman George (Tony's mom), her four children (Tony & 3 daughters) and the family lawyer who happens to be a longtime Hulman family friend.

7. lono

lono Active Member

And three sisters are the ones who fired George's wife last month.

Tony reportedly has burned through $600 million in the last 15 years and the sisters have decided enough is enough.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

8. playthrough

They should televise the George family Thanksgiving on Versus.

9. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Robin Miller getting facts wrong = sun coming up in the East. Not exactly a surprise. Ask any of the 6 media companies that have canned him.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I'm still wondering why he went with only one source on something this big. And will he use that source again?

11. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Miller's notorious for going with 1 source, no source or his imagination. Guy throws stuff against the wall to see what sticks. Later, when something happens in 6 months or a year, he'll say he was right. Guy is a major tool.

12. playthrough

In Miller's defense, he's the first one to joke about how he has gone through employers like most of us go through socks.

With this story -- and I'll take back my earlier post that it was a "swing and a miss" -- there appears to be a nugget of truth in there but it's buried under so many layers. It's a multi-faceted family business, and he's not going to oversee all of it at some point in the future. But it's inaccurate to portray it as some kind of hostile takeover by the sisters or whoever else.

Draft saved Draft deleted