1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony George (on 6/30) resigns CEO post of Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IRL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Clerk Typist, May 27, 2009.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Penske is starting the year with 2 of his three cars unsponsored.

Tony George lost his job, shut his team down and is selling his house amid heavy rumors that in addition to the IRL money he pissed away, he squandered another half a billion or so with Bernie Madoff.

Graham Rahal is out, replaced by a foreign driver who brought money.

How many more warning signs of disaster do you need?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You don't have to convince me of the warning signs. I know 'em well. The media contingent at this week's media days/preseason testing at Barber could have fit in my garage. Along with my cars.

And my DirecTV still doesn't have Versus, with no resolution in sight. IndyCar only has a 10-year contract on that lemon.

The signs will still be code red in three months, but they'll get 200k-plus at Indy. That's all I'm saying.

3. lono

lono Active Member

I've no disagreement with any of that.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://motorsports.fanhouse.com/2010/05/04/exclusive-tony-george-unplugged-former-indycar-ceo-speaks-o/

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The money quote from part 2 of the interview:

"Any family enterprise, with the size and breadth of holdings like our extended family, especially by the fourth or fifth generation, likely ferments internal grasping and deceit that can come from a lifetime of deep-seated resentment and anger that only a family can inflict on each other.

"This is so common in large family enterprises it is almost a cliche. This can be painful and damaging not only on the current generation, but also on spouses and children of the next generation. The bottom line is that I truly love my mom and sisters, but I am truly grateful and relieved to now get the opportunity to explore other ways to live the most productive years of my business life and attend to the needs of my own wife and children.

"What Laura and I are trying to teach our children is that families need to realize that their most valuable assets are the ones that don't include financial holdings -- like relationships, shared values, shared history and experience, and a tradition of generosity with shared purpose and accomplishment that can impact our community with a lasting legacy."

In other words, TG won't be running the Speedway again anytime soon (and says as much in another part of the interview).

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Just picturing Tony George saying all of the above in that monotone of his would drive many to off themselves.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that last graph reads like "we're trying to prepare our children for the fact that they're going to have to get real jobs."

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

"Kids, what do you think about managing the Clabber Girl plant?"

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Excellent "get" by Holly Cain, by the way.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Just what I was thinking. Pretty big coup for Holly to get the first instead of Miller, Cavin, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted