1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Dungy woudn't want to "deal with" Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jul 21, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If it was about ability, Dungy would've said something like "I wouldn't take him because he's not a good player/fit for our system/NFL-caliber/whatever."

Instead, he said this:

"I wouldn't have taken him. Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it. It's not going to be totally smooth ... things will happen."

Are you going to argue that "all of it" refers to Sam's ability on the field, or his shitty combine?

Are you going to argue that "things will happen" refers to Sam not getting sacks, or tackles, or pressure on the QB, or not getting the right positioning on kickoff returns?

You're smarter than that.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Clemens takes great pride in having stopped his baseball
    biological clock." As written by Tom Verducci

3. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

The way he whines about African American coaches being treated unfairly, Rex Ryan using vulgar language, certain controversial players like Vick needing a chance but not Michael Sam, etc. You can just tell his mind is still in the 1960s.

4. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Tony Dungy managed to carve out a nice career with a defense someone else invented, and an amazing quarterback he did not develop.

Now he's finally exposed as just another guy who allows his belief in ideas barely expressed in a book based on a thousands of years-long game of telephone (thank you, Bill Maher) to rule his values. He is not "classy", he is a bigot.

His analysis is not special enough to keep him around in the wake of this.

5. Dungy is the ultimate "family values" man.

6. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

This is crazy. We pile on Dungy because he is a Christian and said something that people turned into being anti-gay. However, Sam is the poor victim...the guy that, when drafted near the bottom of the draft, decided to make out with his boyfriend for the cameras to draw more attention to his story. Sam is exploiting his situation more than anyone.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm going to argue that had Jadeveon Clowney been the NFL's first openly gay player Tony Dungy would have had no problem drafting him and would never have said "I wouldn't want to deal with it."

Even if deep down he still didn't WANT to deal with it, the upside of Clowney is great enough to offset it.

Again, nobody cares if "things will happen" if the player in question finishes the year with 14 sacks. They might care if "things will happen" and the person involved is not even helping the team in any tangible way.

The marginal talent DOES play a role, regardless of whether it was stated.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Who did?

Where?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's no different then had he kissed his girlfriend.

If you feel there's a difference those are your issues, not his.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

God bless you.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

First off, he didn't make out with his boyfriend. He kissed him. Grow up.

We should pile on Dungy for his "Christian values" if they lead him to discriminate, just like we should pile on Islamic values if they lead Muslims to commit acts of terrorism. Using scripture from a book of fantasy to justify intolerance should be piled on.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ben, have you ever sucked a dick?

Draft saved Draft deleted