1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Dungy woudn't want to "deal with" Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jul 21, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The more apt comparison might be the Supreme Court nomination process.

Would he have nominated someone who was out as gay or lesbian, and been willing to deal with the "distractions"? I'm not sure we can answer yes to that question.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Michael Sams has shown more guts than Elena Kagan

3. YankeeFan

Whoa. Elena Kagan just likes softball.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Covering athletes and teams means you can never be duped. Baseball writers have proven this for decades.

5. YankeeFan

Coach K is a great guy! Lance Armstrong is a cancer survivor, and as clean as the day is long!

Hey, I have an idea; instead of covering athletes objectively, let's just help them write first person accounts of their exploits.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Dungy is one of the most overrated coaches of the last 20 years. I'm not sure I would call him a fraud, but he was definitely beloved by many who covered him.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The reason he's a fraud has very little to do with football.

I'll leave it at that.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Are you talking about what happened to his kid or the fidelity rumors that have followed him since he was in Tampa?

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Imagine how many Super Bowls Dungy would've not won with the best quarterback of the last 20 years if he HAD been distracted by questions about untalented gays.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine a GM caring about this. GMs care about winning. That's how they keep their jobs. They don't care whether people are talking about the team around the ol' water cooler.

Owners do, of course. At least moreso. But the modern examples in which making a splash trumped winning are sparse. Bill Veeck isn't walking through that door.

We went around and around and around about this regarding Tim Tebow. There were people on here - people like Mizzougrad who have forgotten more about football than I'll ever know - who were convinced that Jacksonville would sign him, because of the buzz factor. I said it wouldn't. Because he sucks. And I was right.

No, it's not curing cancer. Yes, it's entertainment. But when you get paid in the high six figures to put a winning team on the field, it's curing cancer to you. GMs aren't there to write your fan fiction.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't know how such a bland guy became a leading media personality.
    Strict Christian moralist doesn't scream good television.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

18 months.

But to answer the question . . .

Because the first guy is a better athlete who had a body of work beyond a terrible combine.

Doesn't get any more simple than that, does it?

Draft saved Draft deleted