1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Dungy woudn't want to "deal with" Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jul 21, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't buy into the "these teams didn't pick him, so no team thought he was worth taking a shot on"

IIRC, six teams had expressed interest in him as a free agent if he went undrafted. Teams pass on guys they like all the time with the hopes that he falls to them at their next pick.

It's also not like he's Julius Peppers or Patrick Willis and was still on the board in the final round. He was a great college player, who because of speed and size issues was considered a tweener.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The answers you think we saw on draft day are hypotheticals.

Here we have Tony Dungy flat-out saying it.

That's a large difference.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Dungy also was not asked if he would have drafted Sam. He was asked what he thought about Sam coming into the league. He offered that up on his own.

4. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The downside of instant celebrity when “news people” get involved in sports. He was a big deal for two weeks until the realization that he just wasn’t an NFL player.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Remind me again why the f**k I or anyone else should listen to what Dungy says?

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Great piece. Glad I kept pushing through after this phrase stopped me in my tracks:

Draft saved Draft deleted