1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Dungy: Michael Vick wants another chance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 13, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Grrrr, Grrrr, I'm the angry man [\clueless idiots who double as nerdy managers and losers who can't even get into the game for even a minute at the end of the bench of Division I teams in the NCAA Tournament and yet wave their towels and jump around like idiots every time one of the real players on their team scores and then get their feelings hurt when people make fun of them]

2. pallister

pallister Guest

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well, yes, that's especially true given that Fisher's team will likely be done in December, which has been the case more often than not in his career......

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This thread is on the last train to Locksville.

5. You keep asking, so I'll answer:

His career record as a starter is 31-19-1. He's 24-6 against teams that were at .500 or lower at the time.

He's 7-13-1 against teams with a winning record.

Personally, I think he's done. Most of his game was his speed, not his passing. Had he remained in the league he might have developed into a good quarterback who could read defenses. Didn't happen. Not going to happen.

6. I'll take that bet.
    Vick is back in the NFL as a starter by 2010. Book it. Hell, he could the starter for about eight teams by fall camp.
    I think he'll remain a starter for (at least) three or four years after.

There is NO way he should be blackballed from the NFL. If you lined up society's worst offenders who continued to play in the NFL or professional football after some naughty transgressions Vick would be pretty far down the line.
    Leonard Little, Christian Peter, Lawrence Philips, Ray Lewis, Nick Harper, feel free to just jump in here - go ahead just shout 'em out .. all of whom committed or assisted in crimes against HUMANS, you know people.

Vick served his time and paid his dues. He has a clean slate as far as I am concerned and he should and will get a second chance in the NFL.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Agree with everything, except the part about starting. I think that ship has sailed. He's a great athlete, but his days of being spectacular enough to stay in the lineup are probably over.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Strange. Profootballreference.com has him at 38-28-1. It also has him with a career completion percentage of 53.2, which is pretty lousy for this era. He has never thrown for 3,000 yards in a season and reached 20 touchdowns once. Of course, he is a fantastic weapon as a runner, but he is well below average as a passer.

Trying to judge a quarterback with only his win-loss record is just silly. It is a factor, but not the only one.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Asinine.

You don't actually believe this. Or do you?

Even if he has paid his debt to society (some remain unconvinced) and has served his time, he is not entitled to a roster spot in the NFL.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Personally, I think Vick would look good as a Winnipeg Blue Bomber.

[​IMG]

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Why isn't the detail you got into regarding Vick as a passer matched with how he controlled the game as a runner?

I'm certain if you compare his running statistics as a qb to others, he'll blow his peers out the water.  And as much as you can go on about his passing statistics, defensive coordinators spent nights just as worried about his running prowess as they do facing a 300+ yards per game 60 percent completion passer.

But then again, I don't know football!!!

I've never understood the BS overemphasis on what Vick didn't do as a qb, while casually dismissing what he did do well by the gallery of opinion makers.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I didn't dismiss anything. I said he was a fantastic weapon as a runner. That part of his game is well documented. But a quarterback's primary job is to throw the ball and in that area, Vick is a liability. He has a great arm, but he is not effective in the passing game. I'll take the passer who can't run over the runner who is a mediocre passer at quarterback every time.

Draft saved Draft deleted