1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Awards

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Screw the Lakers-Celtics. I'll tune in for the fourth quarter, cause nobody's doing anything until then anyway.

So, the Tonys...

First of all, Green Day kicked ass in that opening. Seemed to inject some youth and blood into the ceremonies. Then, Katie Holmes and Harry Potter make the first presentation and made me think "Huh. I guess Tom Cruise isn't as much a midget as Katie's a friggin' tall girl."

She towered — heel-aided, I'm sure — over Daniel Radcliffe.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We have Tonys on tape so my son can watch the NBA game on the "real" TV in the house. I'll tune into Tonys tomorrow (and avoid this thread tonight).

Thanks for starting. Usually doesn't draw much interest but I think the "theater" community around here has grown some.

First time in years I haven't seen any of the nominees. Many years recently, I've been all (at least in the musical categories).

Got to get back in that theater habit.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Cruise is still a midget. I think Katie is 5-foot-9.

My love for Kathy Griffin keeps me from making fun of those watching the Tonys. :D

4. Killick

I usually don't pay much attention to Broadway, but dig the Tonys. Sort of "best of" performance, with all the nominated plays doing performances. Had no idea that "Fences" was being done on Broadway again. Lead actor was nominated. Love that play.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Tony's is a must for Law and Order watchers. You can play the game, Victim, Perp, Witness or Lawyer.

6. Killick

Holy crap! Denzel's doing "Fences"? How did I miss this? Wilson's best work, even if it is Pittsburgh-centric (Hey, us Northern Ohioans take our grudges seriously).

And the Cleveland-Pittsburgh rivalry goes Broadway: Fences, based in Pitt, and "Lend Me a Tenor," based in Cleveland, are both up for best revival.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Great play ! Will be next to impossible for Denzel to top the work of James Earl Jones.

8. Killick

Oh, yeah. JEJ just owned it. That's how I first saw it: A video of his performance. I think that's probably a big reason I became so enamored of the play. Just stunning, striking, jaw-dropping performance by him.

9. DanOregon

Wasn't thrilled with the Matthew Morrison and Lea Michele numbers. Thought some of the other productions were hampered by technical issues.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not hosted by NPH = Dead to me.

11. DanOregon

So endeth the streak, Tonys, Emmys, appearance at the Oscars and nothin' tonight. But he is going to host the BET Honors next month, so there is that.

12. Killick

I thought Hayes was decent, with a HUGE assist by Chenoweth. Her bit, coming out and doing an acceptance speech, then fainting when she learned she wasn't even nominated was priceless. So, too, was the schtick with Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuworth not being nom'd.

Draft saved Draft deleted