1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Awards 2011

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You said it. Unforgivable omission.

Book of Mormon is must-see, but it's NOT the best musical of the 21st century . . . not even close.
    Audiences are preconditioned to go tilt over it. Think Stone and Parker have an all-world Broadway musical in them . . . but this isn't it, though the female lead is outstanding, and wholly deserved her Tony.

The Normal Heart has its adherents, but for many, it represents more "the cause" than anything else. It's beyond
    strident. Always thought Larry Kramer was obnoxious, and haven't changed my mind.

Unless it gets utterly bombed by the NYT, Spiderman will run a long time and make boatloads of money. Doesn't make it great, or anywhere near it, but the market has demonstrated it adores it, warts and all.

This was the best Tony show in forever. Harris was terrific, and the Harris/Jackman duet -- and Harris' final summation -- were dead-on.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He wasn't nominated for HOS, and didn't deserve to be, but he works hard. His work during Grand Old Ivy is one of the highlights of the current production.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As noted here months ago, I saw the original Taymor Spider-Man, and while it wasn't "My Fair Lady," it didn't suck. I didn't feel ripped off, and at the prices paid, that's a reasonably strong endorsement.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Morning Joe just played a clip of the Chris Rock intro.

Here it is for those who missed it:

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

They'll go back in mid- to late-July, so you've got about another month, max.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Stoopid question time: Does Broadway go dark for the Tony Awards, or do the shows go on with the understudy's understudy in the lead?

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The Tonys are held on Sunday night because all the theatres are dark then. Sunday is a matinee only (usually) and Monday is everyone's only complete day off.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not quite. F'r instance, I saw BOM at 7 PM on a Sunday, three weeks after the open . . . and there are
    scattered Monday evening performances of other shows, though Monday is certainly the lightest day of the week.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A few shows do play on Sunday night but very few - most shows let their actors be "off" from Sunday late afternoon through Tuesday night.

Anything that is open IS dark on Tony night.

Here's my stupid question - can the public get tickets to the awards show?

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Even tougher, now, since they shifted from RCMH. Was blessed with tickets to the Sunday-morning dress rehearsal for years, but not in the past few seasons.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Guess I've been lucky. The only shows I've been aware of with Sunday night performances have all been touring companies. I can't imagine not having Sunday nights off. Yikes.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe its just that the performers are more accustomed to being live on stage, but the Tonys are almost always more entertaining than the Oscars - never would have thought the Tonys would have been bleeped as much as they were.
    Sutton Foster is pretty amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted