1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tonight's Stupid Phone Call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So wait, there's an actual newspaper that is completely disbanding the sports department and going to rely on parents/coaches to submit stories for publication?

So what is this newspaper going to do, just print city council and school board meetings? What was the rationale for this move (besides cutting money)?

Fill us in on the details, sartrean

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Damn. So someplace really did that?

I think it's fabulous. Prep sports has long been overblown.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Got cussed out in an email from a grandmother whose granddaughter lives in a town 70 miles away and just got a volleyball scholarship back East. The kid's hometown paper, a weekly rag, ran a half-page story, so naturally, the ego-filled gramma runs it up to her paper to get it to run. Her husband is a "prominent doctor, you know, who advertises in your paper."

Not wanting to say I didn't give a shit, I simply made a note of it in a column. After she lectured me about all the grandparents were local and had worked real hard to get their granddaughter to this level, she blistered me for 1) not running the article from the weekly rag verbatim and 2) being high and mighty in thinking my rag was the only show in town.

I couldn't help myself. I told her to send it to the state's biggest paper because obviously, this was a major-league story beyond any justice we could give it and the way she felt about it, well, it was a shoo-in the big dog rag would give it due attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted