1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tonight's SNL -- Joseph Gordon Levitt

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Nov 22, 2009.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I thought that sketch had a lot of the "Ezekiel 25:17" scene from Pulp Fiction, but that might just be because I watched it on YouTube last week.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace look like?"
    "Does he look like a bitch?"
    "No."
    "Then why you trying to fuck him like one?... Marcellus Wallace don't like to be fucked by anybody except Mrs. Wallace."
    Good sketch.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Those are actually usually the best hosts. Some of them are bullied into hosting to promote a movie/album/TV show, but then there are the others who actually want to host.

I haven't watched all of it yet, but the opening skit was pretty damn funny if you can get past Armisen as Obama.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

After watching it again, I don't think enough can be said about the Samberg-Reba rap song, although my fiancee pointed out something I don't know if anyone else noticed - it seems like Keenan Thompson spends a majority of his skits dressed like a woman.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I'd prefer he spend most of his time during the show in his dressing room. With Bobby Moynihan. We can call it the Horatio Sanz Memorial Unfunny Room.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"If you haven't seen '500 Days of Summer,' that's okay. Your girlfriend has."

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really like Leavitt as an actor - check out Brick and The Lookout if you haven't already.
    Didn't think it was as bad as last week's but I don't blame the host.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Followed by:

"If you haven't seen [Singin' in the Rain], don't worry, your grandma has."

8. I admit I recorded SNL last Saturday not expecting a lot, although I remembered Joseph Gordon-Levitt from his role on 3rd Rock from the Sun and figured it might be worth a laugh or two trading on that in a skit. But his opening monologue/dance number was over-the-top impressive. Start to finish, it was probably the best laugh-out-loud SNL of the season. And Gordon-Levitt was great as a host.

Dave Matthews as a musical guest doesn't hurt, either, and his "Ozzy Osbourne" was dead on. Nice to know SNL can still bring it. Too bad it's not more often.

9. BRoth

BRoth Member

It was nice to see a host who seemed genuinely excited to be there. Obviously, everyone says "I'm so excited to be hosting SNL" but you could literally see and feel how pumped up he was during the monologue.

I loved how nobody in the audience seemed to think "Make 'Em Laugh" was funny. Granted, it was funnier because he was going all out recreating the whole number. It was obvious that no one really had seen Singin' in the Rain.

Draft saved Draft deleted