1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tonight's Dem Debate - Ohio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Re: Tonight's Dem Debate

Well, we tried for 50 years the other way.
    Cuba got poorer. Castro stayed. We got nothing.
    Now, after seven years of pissing away whatever international influence we might have had, a change of course seems warranted.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: Tonight's Dem Debate

I found it odd — in fact, surprising — that Hillary played nice.

I was expecting her to break out the long knives. Maybe she too was playing rope-a-dope.

Maybe her peeps know something we don't. Or maybe her strategy is not to appear desperate. After all, last I saw, she was still holding the lead in Texas and Ohio.

At any rate, I doubt last night's debate swayed any voters either way.

3. Re: Tonight's Dem Debate

You've never seen the current president? Mr. "I'll love-bomb Washington and restore integrity to the White House?" The guy who criticizes "tax and spend liberals" and then runs up the largest deficits we've ever had? Mr. More Than 900 Lies to Get to Iraq?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That Texas lead was just about gone, going into last night.

She tried to kiss up to the Latinos with her immigration clarification last night.
    That move may boost her, a bit, but we'll see whether any boost lasts ten full days.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Some of the pundits were saying her closing statements sounded like she was ready to get out of the race. They said the right thing to do would be withdraw before March 4th, but they weren't sure Bill would stand for that.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am just glad that she will be OK. I was worried about that.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and for someone playing the Xerox card (a hoot), her closing statement was directly out of the Edwards playbook.

Bye.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Agree. Seems to me, her plan is a more realistic approach and more likely to be a success in the long term. Really seems like she has learned some lessons from the failed attempt early in Bill's presidency.

Maybe not ready to get out, but laying the groundwork if things don't go gangbusters her way in Texas and Ohio. She shouldn't withdraw before 3/4, but if she's not a clear cut victor on that day, she ought to step aside. I think she realizes that, and that came across in her closing comments.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No constructive debate is likely to emerge from the gap between 3/4 and Pennsy, unless HRC comes up gangbusters in OH and PA. Six additional weeks of backbiting and under-the-table superdelegate threats aren't going to do anyone any good (except the GOP).

10. Boom_70

no BYE !

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The fact that US policy toward Cuba has been a half-century of fail that hasn't benefitted the people of either country is clear.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19246350

12. Boom_70

Nixon's perceptions ? What about Kennedy's - NPR /Daniel Schor - figures

Draft saved Draft deleted