1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tonight on "Real Sports"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hwkcrz1, Sep 15, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fuck Eddie Munster.. that is all...

2. The Deford story did point up one strand that should have been seized upon: the fractionalization of coverage of different things. People, for example, going to Politico or CNN for politcal news. Conservatives will go to Drudge, Free Republic and Fox, while liberals will go to Huffington, Daily Kos, and MoveOn.

People looking for classifieds will go to Craigslist. People looking for horse racing agate need only go to horse betting sites and/or the track sites. Stock tables? Any business site around; even Yahoo has a decent stock tracking presence.

As for athletics? High schools and local sports (a particular point Deford was trying to make) is being fractured by the Rivals and Rise and Vype crowd and their emphasis on football and boys' basketball. But there are also sites doing a decent job out there such as Laxpower and Digital Sports and iHigh.

I've seen more than a few high-school sports magazines come and go -- I remember when Sports Huddle had a print edition, for pity's sake!

The Washington Post is, I think, going to try to spearhead sport-specific presences such as their "Reach For The Wall" site. Will it become truly national? Depends on whether they want to spend the same kind of money that they did David Beckham's first game in D.C. (if I recall correctly, 16 people -- photogs, columnists, audio and video capture, gossip writers and, of course, the beat writer).

Draft saved Draft deleted