1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toni Morrison's "Beloved" pulled from class because of racism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Mar 29, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is so educational for me. I just started reading Beloved. :)

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ban that book. It's rubbish.

I got as far as an animal being thrown around the room in beginning and refused to finish it.

My prof's response? "But the dog didn't die."

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

fj --

You're kidding about the banning the book part, right?

4. farmerjerome

Nope. Not in this instance. This book really, really got under my skin.

I know it wouldn't be right to ban it, but it really bugs me. I wish they could ban it.

5. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

6. farmerjerome

Can't help it. Just feel like playing the asshole card tonight.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You're doing that well.

8. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

we all have those nights.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, fairly early in the reading of it myself and I already don't like it. Yeah, ban the thing!

Though I must admit, I've already read more about cow fucking than I expected.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Books shouldn't be banned.

BUT, given the breadth of literature available and finite number of books that can be read in public high schools, it's an extremely poor choice. As I Lay Dying is a difficult book to read, but infinitely better than Beloved

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This conversation has really gone in a different direction. I don't mind, at all, but I am going to point it out. Alma, while insightful in his disagreement, is not even close to making the same argument as those wishing the book to be banned.

For the comments stated here, maybe there should be an adjustment made and a different book can be selected. However, until one of the parents makes that argument, the whole subject of banning this book should be removed.

You can't ban books because they make you feel icky. You can't ban books because they make you uncomfortable. Next thing you know, we'll be sitting around reading My Pet Goat hoping that a part two comes out.

We are talking about 17 and 18 year old kids taking a COLLEGE LEVEL course. You can't claim it is a high school course when you receive college credit. Can anyone at any point argue that this book should be banned for college students as well?

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I guess I should have read the story more closely, they substituted The Scarlet Letter for Beloved in an AP English Class. Hawthorne should be read in 8th or 9th grade. It's not an AP English book. As an editorially decision concerning which book will be read and taught in class, removing Beloved is an extremely justifiable position. The book isn't banned from the library, so saying it's been banned is a poor choice of words from a site of writers.
    The principal, however, lacks some principles when it comes to supprting his teachers and the educational process. As poor a choice as Morrison may be, removing the book from class was a cowardly editorial decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted