1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toni Morrison's "Beloved" pulled from class because of racism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Mar 29, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Way too easy.

2. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I live in a blue on blue city where Huckleberry Finn has been banned from several schools as racist. When you get out on the far poles of opinion, the stupidity can be so ironbound that it clanks. No perspective.

Artistic merit is another question. One I can't answer, because I haven't read Toni Morrison.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, Huck Finn is racist. No getting around that.

All the white people looked like idiots.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Scarlet Letter is about a lot more than white people having sex. Good God, people.

As for Beloved…what stone-cold idiot thought that'd be good for high-schoolers? It's hardly useful for <i> anyone </i> and I've read it twice. It's a terrible, terrible choice. There are so many terrific books written by African-Americans, including a whole slew from the Harlem Renaissance. To select Beloved is a reflection of shallowness.

Artsitic merit is in the mind of the reader but, in general, Beloved is a neo-slave narrative. It helps to have read original slave narratives to understand Morrison's work is not really a historical work, but a commentary on the works of the time. It's just too complex and irritating on first read.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with Alma here.

Native Son, Invisible Man, Light in August would be much better choices of novels about race and society.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

edited for accuracy

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Finally. Now I can take a nap.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ok, anyone else see Craig Ferguson last night? Did a bit as Michael Caine that basically called out Coulter as a man. No news there, but it was very, very funny.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This was an Advanced Placement Class so presumably the kids were older and could form critical opinions about the books they read. So I'd suggest that it would be suitable for this group of high school students.

The issue here isn't whether Beloved is a good/bad/indifferent novel.

It's an issue of a small minority of parents banning a book from the classroom, a book which I could lay 100-1 odds on none of them have actually read. And the worst part of it is, they principal meekly acquiesced instead of telling them to shove off.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If the parents of smart kids can't read the book, can smart kids?

And whether it's good/bad/indifferent for high-schoolers is certainly an issue. You're not going to find "Gravity's Rainbow" on that list, I assure you. The idea behind the lists is to give kids novels to refer to when they take tests. I strongly question whether kids can successfully digest Beloved, then turn around and apply their knowledge in a <i> correct </i> way on the test. Of course, this "ban" is more about the subject matter. But then the subject matter is troubling, Morrison fixates on the horror for the sake of fixating and negating the original slave narratives, which were more about, frankly, less tame, more focused on change and overtly Christian.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I would venture that most of those parents haven't picked up a book since they read "Of Mice and Men" in the 12th grade.

And on the list of books to chose from was "Crime & Punishment", hardly a romp in the park for most high school kids.

I think it's slightly condescending to assume that smart 17 or 18 year olds can't "get" "Beloved"

This is a high school test, not an application to be a reviewer for the New York Times.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

AP courses that are taken properly, meaning the resulting test is passed, provide college credits. That is probably the reason that a book classified as difficult would be provided.

Alma, I am a bit surprised that you are continuing to press on qualifying the book as appropriate or not when the reasoning behind the ban has nothing to do with it. The book was banned because several parents though that it was "inappropriate" reading due to its subjects.

These are 17 and 18 year old kids. They aren't babies. I'm sure they know about beastiality, sex and slavery. Yet, a few parents want to shield their children's eyes and pretend that the subject is too adult.

It is unlikely that the parents even attempted to.

Draft saved Draft deleted