1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toni Morrison's "Beloved" pulled from class because of racism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Well, at least the kids can go have sex now with all their free time.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I love that it was replaced by "The Scarlet Letter" - see what happens if you have sex, kids? Branded for life!

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Un-Fucking-Believable.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

"at least two parents"

If the principal had any balls he'd have told those 2 parents that if they didn't like the reading list, they could take their little brats out of AP English!

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That selection made me laugh, too. Unreal.

7. Toni Morrison's books suck. Why do we care about this?

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wow. I was so ready to read "North Bullitt", "Corbin" or perhaps even an Indiana contribution from some place like "North Harrison" attached to this story, but Louisville Eastern? Color me surprised.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I had problems following that book in college. Actually, I gave up on it and accepted the C in English class.

How does anyone under the age of 18 read that book anyway?

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn. Only thing I know about Corbin is a documentary about the 1919 "racial cleansing" that took place there. It was among a series of films shown in my sociology class in college.

Apparently, somebody wants to make <a href="http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?p=corbin+kentucky+lynching&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz2&x=wrt&u=www.corbinnewsjournal.com/index.php%3Ffn%3Dstories%26front%3DArray%26detail%3D1166106284&w=corbin+kentucky+lynching+lynchings&d=UM6qkBIeOghS&icp=1&.intl=us">a new documentary</a> about that incident. Pretty fucked-up shit.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Those can't be accurate. Indiana and Missouri aren't in the South, so there can't ever have been any racism there.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It should be off school reading lists because it's unreadable.

This isn't hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted