1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tommy Tomlinson's 'The Weight I Carry'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 10, 2019.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

WriteThinking-
    Are beer/carbonated beverages a total no-go?

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Not technically, no. In any limited, or healthier, diet, I think they definitely should be minimized, though.

In my case, following weight-loss surgery, it was recommended to me not to drink alcohol, preferably, at all, and to keep carbonated drinks to a minimum. Alcohol, beyond maybe an occasional small glass of wine, and, especially, smoking, I was warned in no uncertain terms, can potentially have severe and adverse effects on a gastric bypassed system. And carbonated stuff, well, the gas/air would just make you feel uncomfortably blown up, and would be wasted, useless calories, to boot.

The first (alcoholic) part of this edict has never been difficult for me. I've always been about as much of a non-drinker as there can be, not out of any superior sense of judgment or morals, but because a desire for alcohol is usually an acquired taste, and, well, I just never acquired it. In the case of carbonated drinks, I don't necessarily dislike them, and occasionally, I still even get an urge to have one, just for the taste and a little flavor. But my doctors were right. Post-surgery, any time I've had one, it invariably just doesn't sit well. I can drink them, but then, I kind of regret it later.

I've really learned that water is best, and the only thing necessary, and I'm fine with that. After a while, you even realize that, sometimes, there's nothing better than a good, cold drink of water.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Fascinating stuff.

I lost a ton of weight in my early 20s — wow, that was 20 years ago almost. And I kept it off for three or four years. As weird as it sounds, I sometimes still see myself at that weight, not 70 pounds heavier.

I admire all of you who’ve kept the weight off. I need to do that.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Also deeply impressed with the resolve. You guys are superstars in my book.
    I am lugging about 20 excess pounds and find even that challenge daunting.
    I proved I can go without beer and pizza, but carbonated drinks are another matter.
    My cravings for soda are way more than those for nicotine when I used it.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Thanks! I had no idea. I think I'll add even more mushrooms to my diet after learning this!

6. Doc Holliday

I wouldn't call it discipline necessarily, but thank you for the compliment. What I find is that the more I go to the gym, the more I want to go back. I get addicted to the endorphines. I also feel guilty if I skip more than a day or two. I just feel so much better mentally and physically when I go. I don't even view it as a "work" out. I view it more as recreational, like playing basketball or golf or tennis. It's more fun than work. I listen to music and try to improve on my times/weights, etc. But I think liking it comes from having the right frame of mind/approach toward it. And, the benefit is, afterward I can usually eat whatever I want. I am friends with a guy who does Triathlons regularly, which I think is crazy, but he loves it and he laughs about how he can eat anything afterward for like three days LOL

7. Doc Holliday

I cut out cokes/sodas nearly 12 years ago. I have not had a single carbonated drink since April 2007. Best thing I ever did. Went through some major caffeine withdrawal headaches for about 5 days. Then was fine. Lost some weight and best of all have not had a cavity since. I was always prone to cavities as a kid because of the sodas I drank.

How did I quit you might ask? Google "effects of carbonated drinks" ... I did that late one night, read all these horrible stories and quit cold turkey and never went back. Not even interested in a soda now. Those things will absolutely kill you. If you're serious about quitting, take the Google Challenge. It will scare the shit out of you.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

How about seltzer water? No calories, no sugar.

A note on ground turkey: I always found it to be a bit dry. I've taken to the super lean ground beef (93 percent lean/7 percent fat) ... just made a pot of chili with it this week. You can't tell the difference between that and the really fatty ground round. Aside from the price, of course ...

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

A side of unsweetened applesauce will take care of that :). Seriously, I eat a little of it with almost everything.

A pro tip on the ground turkey: You are right. It can be a little dry (because there's less fat, especially with the 93 percent lean, which I also use) and it is definitely more mild, which means there's less taste than most people prefer. What I often do if I'm making things like chili, meat loaf, enchiladas, or even meatballs, etc., is mix it, using mostly ground turkey but half (or less) ground beef (usually of a slightly higher-fat content -- I find 90 percent-lean is best, still very light and low-fat, but adds to the taste -- although I sometimes use the 93 percent lean for that, too. Don't use the 96 percent-lean; it's just too lean, and adds nothing to the taste/enjoyment). I'd bet you'd really like it, it's still healthier and lighter, and yet, it will add significantly more taste, texture and substance to whatever you're making.

I eat the ground turkey totally plain mostly when I'm just having a burger in the dish, which is most nights that I'm not having chicken because I don't want to actually do all-out cooking. But when I make other things, this what I do. It's delicious -- and much more palatable for most people, especially those who haven't been won over by ground turkey.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  10. Doc Holliday

I started this about 2007. We get the 96/4 ground beef. Yeah, it's expensive as shit but it's a heck of a lot better for you.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Finished the book yesterday - interesting stuff. I've struggled with weight all my life, too, so I can relate to a lot of what he says. Like Mr. Tomlinson, I'm on another downward trend now. And I'm hoping to make this one stick. I've always kept some of my "at my fattest" clothes around just in case but this time I'm doing a purge. Out with ALL the old. I'm about to hit a pretty big personal milestone on my way to my ultimate weight goal (more than halfway to that).

I've already outlived my dad by 13 years and I'd like to add at least another 20 to that. If I'm around to see my granddaughter get married, I'll be the happiest old guy alive. I won't get there as a fat guy.

Read the book.

12. Doc Holliday

Great to see you doing well with your plan. Hope you reach all your goals!

Draft saved Draft deleted