1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tommy Lasorda...Grudging Respect

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Apr 5, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Even as a lifelong Giants fan who boo'd Lasorda hundreds of times over the 70's and 80's, I really enjoyed this:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9136218/tommy-lasorda-big-dodger-sky

He's funny and sounds like a wonderful husband; had it been him in the Giants dugout, the Giants probably would have won a World Series before '10.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Interesting that no mention of his late son. Not that it has to be included in every feature on Lasorda, but he does talk about many others who have died, plus his wife. (speaking of which, has anyone ever found an online copy of Peter Richmond's GQ story on his son?)

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You can read the Richmond story here, I think:

http://books.google.com/books?id=gGV7hWLTDUgC&pg=PA223&lpg=PA223&dq=peter+richmond+lasorda&source=bl&ots=4GoLTtvlSf&sig=spf1i3dkBP9jnZm5ksfR2wnEA7c&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HDFfUfSMJMrE0QHepIGACQ&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=peter%20richmond%20lasorda&f=false

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, but what did he think of Kingman's performance?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What's his opinion of Kingman's performance? What the f*** do you think was his opinion of Kingman's performance? It was f-ing horses***.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'd quote the OP but the long link has jacked the keys...

...anyhoo, the idea that Tommy Lasorda is considered a good husband is downright laughable.

7. I laughed out loud at the votive candle story. Thanks for posting this.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

cock sucker never met a dodger arm he didn't want to blow out.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Lasorda can stick that "Big Dodger in the Sky" bullshit up his big fat Dodger ass. :)

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yeah, the candle story is funny. It's not true, of course, but it's funny.

Walter Alston stayed a year longer than he wanted to just to piss off Lasorda, who was pushing him into retirement.

This jolly old man is well known for mooching meals at restaurants when he can well afford to pay for them. He stiffs the wait staffers who stay late to serve them. He believes if he poses for a photo with them, that's all they need.

Real-life Lasorda isn't anything like the character portrayed in this piece of fluff.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There's no one full of more blarney than Lasorda.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Don't think I've ever heard/read anyone say one good thing about the guy. Hence why everyone thought this was hilarious.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted