1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tommy John Surgery

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 9, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Do you have to explain what it is every time you mention it in a story?

I've pared it down to this: Bob Smith had Tommy John surgery to repair the ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing arm.

Is that all I need? Or do I even need that much?

I'm just getting tired of repeating it for every pitcher who has had it.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Shoulder surgery.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Elbow, actually.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No.

Ligament-replacement surgery in the elbow. Shoulder has nothing to do with it.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I think that works just fine.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Sub in "plantar fasciitis."

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually, if you say "surgery to repair (and it's actually to replace) the ulnar collateral ligament," I'm not so sure you need to say "Tommy John" in front of "surgery." That's not actually an official term as much as it's called that because he was the first well-known pitcher to have it done and revive his career.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would probably leave "Tommy John" in since most readers know what that is, but they likely don't realize it's to replace the ulnar collateral ligament.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Wow. Shows you what I know. All these years I thought it was his shoulder. Either way, I'd just say elbow surgery.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I think the way you have it is about right. Many people will know what "Tommy John surgery" is, and those who don't get a brief but sufficient explanation.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

"Elbow surgery" isn't adequate. You can have elbow surgery and pitch a month later. When you have the ligament replacement ("Tommy John") you're looking at a minimum of one year and probably closer to two years as far as getting back to normal -- if that happens at all.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

WFW

No soup for you, TwoGloves ...

Draft saved Draft deleted