1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tommy Craggs counterpoint on LeBron: He's not a [cork soaker]

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Everyone says Deadspin is way worse than it was when Leitch was running the show because they think Daulerio is a slimeball with no ethics. And there is a good chance they're not incorrect about Dauleiro. But I'd actually argue that Deadspin might be better, overall, now because of Magary and Craggs. Craggs is a very gifted writer. I think Craggs offers at least a decent counterpoint here to Magary's "LeBron James Is A Cocksucker" column.

http://deadspin.com/5583152/counterpoint-lebron-james-is-not-a-cocksucker

It does, in some respects, simply come down the fact that he didn't play his part with enough conviction. That he wasn't a good enough actor. No Space Jam 2: Electric Boogaloo for him, I guess.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Off topic, but I'd just like to point out how much I enjoy Magary. I read his mailbags at work, and I always have to stifle laughter multiple times. NO ONE HAS EVER USED CAPITAL LETTERS MORE EFFECTIVELY.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Craggs completely ignores one of the reasons why Lebron was a cocksucker last night: the unnecessary cruelty to Cleveland. If he was gonna dump those poor bastards, he could've done it the same way every other free agent in history has done it. Not through a one hour prime time special that seemed be designed to maximize their anxietly and humiliation to the greatest extent possible. And then he never even bothered to thank them for the support over the years. What a cocksucker.

And he also repeats a pet peeve of mine with this:

I've often heard writers use this line about free agents who go forum shopping for a better ring opportunity and I believe it's bullshit.

Fans don't hold this brand of "elevating winning" in highest esteem. They do for players whose entire focus is on making their team win, not guys who go shopping for new teams where winning will be easier. Seeking wins that way is not about team, and it very much IS about personal gain and selfishness.

I admire the hell out of guys like Reggie Miller and John Stockton who stayed on the same team scratching and clawing for 18 plus years in search of a title that never came. And I think it's sad that Karl Malone ruined having the same one team legacy by jumping to the Shaq/Kobe Lakers at the end his career in a blatant attempt at a ring grab.

Is anybody impressed that Gary Payton finally got his ring by latching onto the 06 Heat after several years of shopping himself around after a ring? I'm not. But I was impressed when Nash declined the opportunity to go ring hunting last year and instead stayed loyal to the Suns ownership that, frankly, had kinda screwed over his ring opportunities by being cheap bastards.

Lebron will get his rings now, but it doesn't make him any more of a winner. Getting Cleveland over the top, now THAT would've made him a champion. Taking the easy road by latching onto the D-Wade/Bosh train doesn't impress me at all.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

My favorite pieces of Craggs' are the rants he goes on whenever there's another story on steroids in: baseball/football/cycling. He's great at deflating much of the hysteria. And his participation in NY Mag's review of Simmons' book was outstanding.

With this particular topic, I liked Magary's better, but Craggs' was well-written. Still, what he didn't say in his was that Magary wrote his before last night's debacle. Craggs says people are upset primarily because of the way LeBron was during the show. But Magary's rant came a full day before it even aired. Last night was just the icing. So in this mythical debate, I'm giving the victory to Magary on points.

By the way, anyone watching the Heat celebration in their arena right now? Might be the biggest crowd they get all year. Or will they finally sell out games now?

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Let's stop referring to James as the best player in the game.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He's not a cork soaker. He's a bastage!

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding.

If you want to leave, just leave.

The free-agency courtship charade, then the egopalooza TV production were simply rubbing Cleveland's collective face in dogshit.

No hometown fanbase has EVER supported an NBA player more rabidly. And few teams ever have bent more to build the team the way the star player wanted. If the Cavs couldn't win, Bron Bron, it's on YOUR ass.

And he did quit in Game 5. Bitch.

And let's establish one thing right now: ANY season in which the Miami Heat does NOT win the NBA championship -- as long as James is on the roster -- is an utter, unmitigated, unqualified, catastrophic, cataclysmic, disastrous, disgraceful failure. And it goes right on the ass of The King. No more excuses. Win or shut the fuck up.

8. Football_Bat

The one person thanking Tebow for the latest turn of events: White-hat-wearing Kobe.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So when a player takes huge money to sign with a losing team, people don't say "well, that proves he only cares about money?"

10. Football_Bat

Not initially. They say he wants to elevate a loosing team to top-tier status. Only later in hindsight, after the looser keeps on loosing, do they knock him for going after the biggest money. A la A-Rod.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wrong. He's an icehole.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Active Member

A farging icehole?

Draft saved Draft deleted