1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tommy Bowden has been fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by prezclinton, Oct 13, 2008.

1. concernedjournalist

concernedjournalist New Member

First time I read the quote, I thought he really threw Bowden under the bus. But on second read, I'm not so sure.

What if that second sentence is meant as a compliment for Swinney, as in "It's what he deserved. Dabo Swinney is a fine man and will do an excellent job.''

Did Schlabach break the quote up that way because "It's what he deserved" was in reference to Bowden, or did he misunderstand what Harper was saying?

I have the utmost respect for Schlabach, and I don't know Cullen Harper at all. But that quote left me wondering the real intent of the comment.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/gatech/stories/2008/10/13/clemson_tommy_bowden.html

According to this, he stepped down, rather than being fired.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Now that's a remarkable show of restraint.

Your membership will be revoked by day's end.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That link has no place on this thread and, if it shows up, will spell trouble for the poster. Whether or not it is her.

5. mb

mb Active Member

Now it all makes sense.

-- Clemson tells him he's done at the end of the year.
    -- They come to some kind of deal on the $4M buyout of a contract that was extended something along the lines of FOUR MONTHS AGO through 2014.
    -- Bowden steps down.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Joe Schad was on ESPN saying that Bowden was told this morning that whenever Clemson was mathematically eliminated from contention for the ACC championship game, he'd be fired but would be allowed to finish the season. Later in the morning, according to Schad, Bowden decided that maybe it would be best to end it now.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think most coaches think initially that it's a good idea to finish the season and then after a few seconds of reflection they realize it's not.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dabo was mid-90s, under Stallings. And he's worked like hell all his life to pull himself up from an impoverished childhood.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Does Cullen and his Daddy understand that the reason why he got benched and Clemson is 3-3 is because he's not a good QB? I understand the fact that Tommy didn't tell him that he was sitting, but to add that shit today, if he even steps on the field again, he's going to get ripped beyond belief.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Bowden has always lived a charmed life.
    Just as soon as it looked like it would be trouble, he'd roll off some big wins and all would be well in Clemson land.

And I ain't posting no link or nothing. That photo is radioactive and I'm pretty sure it is her since it is a side-by-side shot of her doing sideline reporting plus the nekkid one.
    Yikes.

11. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

By Joe Blow
    The Greenville News

Tommy Bowden stepped down as Clemson head coach today, the school announced.

"It was a bittersweet ending," said Nick Chara, 29, of Anderson.

[/crossthreading]

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Fired him after the Gators got Croomed, but let him finish out the year. Florida played better than they had any right to play against Georgia, and even beat FSU, but reached USDA Grade-A Don't-Give-A-Crap mode by the bowl game.

Draft saved Draft deleted