1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tommy Bowden has been fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by prezclinton, Oct 13, 2008.

1. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

This is right up there with Clay Aiken being gay.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not surprising, but link?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wonder if ESPN will let Terry Bowden comment on this. And it's almost always senseless to fire a college coach in midseason. Doesn't help recruiting and pretty much kills the rest of the season.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

As a Wisconsin fan, I am begging Clemson to hire Bret Bielema.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

While most of the time I agree with you, there's some history here that gives Clemson a good reason to do it now.
    After all of Clemson's slow starts, Bowden had rattled off enough wins for him to keep his job. It's been a consistent circle. If you're going to let him go at the end of the year anyway, you might as well do it now.
    It will be interesting to see what happens with the coordinators. I can't see Rob Spence surviving this either.

Personal note: I've always liked Tommy Bowden as a guy. He's generally pretty good with the media. I hope he gets a decent job.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He outperformed, like, 98% of all first-year coaches in the history of the republic.
    Jeez.

7. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3641028

There's a link.

Is Muschamp a likely candidate?

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Great quote from Cullen "I just lost my job" Harper:

"They just told us. It's what he deserved," said senior quarterback Cullen Harper, who was benched after the Tigers' loss to Wake Forest loss and replaced by highly regarded sophomore Willy Korn. "Dabo Swinney is a fine man and will do an excellent job."

Harper struggled playing behind an inexperienced offensive line this season. His father, Jeff Harper, an offensive lineman on Georgia's 1980 national championship team, said Bowden's dismissal was justified.

"I'd call it karma," he said. "I thought it needed to be done. I think anytime a head coach or someone in a leadership position starts to place blame on his coaches and players, it weakens their respect on the team. His past experiences have shown he's done that."

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

WOW.

Check out this quote from Cullen Harper, per ESPN.

"They just told us. It's what he deserved," said senior quarterback Cullen Harper, who was benched after the Tigers' loss to Wake Forest loss and replaced by highly regarded sophomore Willy Korn. "Dabo Swinney is a fine man and will do an excellent job."

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bobby outlives another son.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I disagree. If Florida hadn't fired Zook mid-season, it would have almost certainly missed out on hiring Urban Meyer. It gives schools a headstart on finding a replacement.

12. Bring him to West By God (Virginia)... We'll take him.

Draft saved Draft deleted